Finally taking off...

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

Sen

Finally taking off...

Post by Sen »

...with the works on my studio (I thought I'd share the news :) )..As some may remember, I had some issues about getting the building permit and that sort of stuff, but it's all fallen into its place. I've been issued a permit to build a "workshop/hobby room" :roll: in my back yard.
This "hobby room" is gonna be 11.6 X 7 metres = 81.2 sq. m.
That should be enough for a CR and a LR.
Concrete slab, double brick walls (no gap between bricks) and cement roof tiles are the main structural details of the studio. Well the 4 walls and the roof are the only things on the plans anyway :wink: .
The walls are 3.6 m high with the highest ceiling point at 5.3 m.
So as I said, the works have started....you guess it..I've been digging, digging and...digging. The trenches 4 the footings have to be 40 cm wide and 50 deep :roll:
Working 10-11 hours mon-fri doesn't help much, but the money earned does a little bit. ...so I better shut up and suffer.. :(
I am however close to completing these trenches and I hope to pour some concrete into them soon.
It was close to impossible to get any of digging machines up to where I am building (with my carport still in place) so I decided to do it by hand and save some money as well. Friends and old man are helping as much as they can so that's encouraging too :) ...
We will do most of the stuff ourselves. The things I am planning on hiring tradies for are brick laying and roof construction, eventhough I might get some good help with the roof too. I just wanna get the roof onto this thing, and then It'll be easier once I start doing the inside of it ( I hope it will anyway)...I still think the hardest part is digging the footings :shock:
I will try to take some pics as we progress and post them once we've actually done something that's worth looking at...and now I'll go back to shovelling..oh no it's 10:15 at night...but yeah probably in my dreams anyway :lol:

Catch yous later
Kind regards
Sen
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Cool, Sen - glad to hear you're getting a start on things, that's great.

Oh, and BTW, the "hardest part" is whatever you're doing at the moment - even if it's easier, the other stuff that was harder is behind you (OK, 'nuff amateur philosophy) Don't work so tired you hurt yourself... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
Sen

Post by Sen »

knightfly wrote:Cool, Sen - glad to hear you're getting a start on things, that's great.

Oh, and BTW, the "hardest part" is whatever you're doing at the moment - even if it's easier, the other stuff that was harder is behind you (OK, 'nuff amateur philosophy) Don't work so tired you hurt yourself... Steve
Thanks for the support Steve...I'll probably be bombarding the forum with questions pretty soon :) ...and yeah, whatever you're doing at the moment is hardest...I agree

Hope you're having a good weekend :!:

All the best
Kind regards
Sen
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

"Hope you're having a good weekend " - This one is still questionable, but the NEXT one is lookin' good - gonna see Santana at Portland a week from Sunday; happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Oh, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm gonna be happy, just in case I forgot to mention it... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
Sen

Post by Sen »

Hey Steve..that's great..I guess Santana always has something to offfer...
My next "musical outting" will be "LIVE"..mid december and I can't wait. These guys are really big in Australia and New Zealand...how about the States? I heard they're not that popular overthere??

And what did you say you were gonna be next weekend??....
....oh yeah happy, wasn't it?? :)

Enjoy...report how it went
Kind regards
Sen
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

"LIVE" - not heard of them here, but that might be Genre rather than popularity - I totally ignore Rap, sorta keep up with Metal (or whatever it's called these days) but tend to actually listen to Jazz, Classical and Oldies (not REALLY oldies usually) pretty much in that order.

Report - no doubt I'll be bitching about whoever ran the sound, or bad acoustics, etc - Still, live beats canned almost every time... Steve
cadesignr

Post by cadesignr »

I heard a rumor that Steve was going to be...ah, HAPPY? :shock:

Naw, that can't be. Say that ain't true Steve. We can't have any of that shit around here. I'ts contagious. Besides, OLD FARTS are supposed to be.....well, old farts. You'll blow our cover! I can see the Enquirer headlines now.....OLD FARTS DISCOVERED HAPPY!!

You'll give us a bad name, and THEN what are we to do? :evil:

Doggone, smiling old farts. Sounds wierd. IF I catch this awfull thing from ya, I'll kill ya, ya hear me. KILL YA...

opps..... :twisted: somethins....happenin.. :shock: .... :) ....NOOOOO!! :o ....... :) :) .... :? ..... :lol: ......AHHHHHHHHHHHH!

:D :D :D :D

Doggone you Steve........I'll NEVER live this down.... :wink:

(hehehehe, have a great time STEVE, and btw......try and be HAPPY ok?

fitZ
alright, breaks over , back on your heads......
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Well, OK, if you insist...

Hey, wait just a doggone minute here, I know what yer up to - you think if you follow me all over the internet like a lost puppy I'll take pity and give you my Santana tickets, well I got news fer you it just ain't gonna happen (my wife's closer than you, and ever since I bought her her own gun I've had to actually be NICE to her, boy that was dumb... (paranoia switch returned to O-F-F- position)

JK, Fitz, thanks for the well-wishing stuff, and yes I WILL be happy (at least momentarily) til I look at the mess I still have to deal with before I can make any serious noise around here... Steve
laptoppop

Post by laptoppop »

cadesignr wrote: smiling old farts
Now THATS a fun name for a garage band! :lol:

You gotta give us a report after you hear the concert, Steve. Sounds like a blast.

-lee-
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Yeah, should be that Lee - I'm hoping Carlos still has the guys in his band that can play Aquamarine - it's an instrumental that the album never made it onto CD, only vinyl - finally found a CD copy of that and one other song from that album on a "best of" album at Costco, fkn near wore it out... Steve