"Mounting" Neoprene pads?

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

luvshinerbock

"Mounting" Neoprene pads?

Post by luvshinerbock »

The U-boats from Auralex don't need mounting by their design, however, I've purchased a 1/2" 60 durometer neoprene sheet that I've cut up into strips 2" wide and 6" long to place under my 2x4 floor joists. Do I need to somehow "mount" the pads to the joists, or will careful placement suffice? I'm assuming the weight of the flooring on top of the joists will hold everything in place, but I want to hear your experienced opinions please.

Additionally I've placed GAF Tri-Ply rubber roofing roll on the wooden floor beneath the floating floor...there are some creaks I couldn't repair without going crazy with costs. I intend on placing strips of the GAF on top of the floating floors' joists for additional dampening.

I'm really open to hearing your feedback.

Thanks.
cfuehrer

Post by cfuehrer »

For the creaks, get some teflon powder and dust in around to help eliminate some of them.
Peace,

Carl Fuehrer
Pulsar Audio Lab
http://www.pulsaraudiolab.com
luvshinerbock

Post by luvshinerbock »

Teflon powder? Dusting powder on top of the wooden subfloor will help eliminate the creaks? Really? How does that work? :?: :?:
cfuehrer

Post by cfuehrer »

It's an old carpenter thing used to quiet creaky stairs. The teflon powder helps to reduce the friction between boards.
Peace,

Carl Fuehrer
Pulsar Audio Lab
giles117

Post by giles117 »

2x6. Seems kinda big, I'd cut them into 2x3 strips.

I have always used drywall screws to screw them to the stud being careful to sink the screw in halfway so when the neoprene pad compresses the screws dont touch the surface below.

Bryan Giles

I think it's over killl to place the GAF on the studs, but hey every little bit helps. The material is so cheap it can't hurt your pocket too much to experiment.
luvshinerbock

Post by luvshinerbock »

2x6 pieces are too long? Well, if that's the case I just doubled my pad quantity. So, which of you have actually used 2"x3" pads to float a 2x4 floor?
Overkill to put the GAF on the floorjoists? Good enough-just saved myself more $$. My only concern is the creaking floor beneath my floating floor...oh, just thought about something. If I place the pads on the floor where it doesn't creak, maybe I'll be good to go! :?:

Hey, where do I find this teflon powder? Is it costly?
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

" If I place the pads on the floor where it doesn't creak, maybe I'll be good to go! " - Best idea yet -

Also, if you don't want movement above, a dab of construction adhesive on each side of the rubber pads will keep things stable... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
giles117

Post by giles117 »

I did. actually I went deeper than that I order a 2" x 1/2" x 15' strip of neoprene.

Cut it into 1.5" Strips. Oc course I used my studs the standard way, not the laying them flat way. If you are laying flat then 2x3 is cool. :)

Bryan Giles
cfuehrer

Post by cfuehrer »

I think one of the carpenters used to use baby powder too if he couldn't get teflon powder. Try any home building supply store.
Peace,

Carl Fuehrer
Pulsar Audio Lab
Michael Jones

Post by Michael Jones »

I don't know anything about mounting neoprene, but

I love Shiner Bock too!!! :D
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

"I love Shiner Bock too" - Hey, you guys wanna go get a room? :wink: (JK) Steve (OK, that was mean, but I gotta give SOMEBODY a ration once in a while...)
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
Michael Jones

Post by Michael Jones »

I already have my ration, AND someone else's! :D

"Shiner Bock" is a Texas Beer. :wink:
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Yeah, I already knew that - but how much mischief can be had without intentional "misunderstandings" ? (In a way, you're lucky - in person, I'm even MORE insufferable on wordplays...) 'course, that's just my FAMILY's version, in reality I'm actually PERFECT... :? Steve
luvshinerbock

Post by luvshinerbock »

Yup! That good ol Texas-brewed Shiner Bock! Got my first taste in Sept. while in Austin for the ACL Music Festival...brought a case home with me to find, to my delight, that a local distributor is now carrying it!!! [For anyone in the Austin area-gotta say, what a great town/people/vibe! Look forward to next years' festival!]

In the meantime I'm gonna use liquid nails to mount my neoprene pads in place--hope that stuff won't deteriorate the rubber...anyone have any info on this?
Thanks, see y'all soon.
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

No problems with liquid nails that I'm aware of - they use it to glue styrofoam insulation to concrete with no problems -

Here's a site that may be able to help, I'm about to crash so didn't look really carefully =

http://www.online-home-improvement-store.com/macco.php

HTH ... Steve