Desk reflections

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

rsb

Desk reflections

Post by rsb »

I have drawn in a picture of what I was planning on doing to my room.

The soffits now have hangers underneath them. ( I was able to fit them )

In Johns soffit design it calls for 703 on the bottom half of the soffit unit to avoid reflections from the console.

I was going to build my desk as shown, almost attached to the soffit walls, so reflections from underneath would not really be an issue. So I was thinking of putting that strip of 703 between the desk and the soffit face?

Am I headed in the wrong direction with this idea? Because of the limited space my listening position is at about the end of that desk, so my chair would be right there.

Thanks for any help

Ryan

PS The ceiling and that beam running the length of the room are covered in 703 and muslin. And there will be another absorber in the space where the soffits meet.
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

That should work fine, Ryan - if you were using nearfields, the angles between the speakers and desk might cause some reflection problems but if your desk is going to be that high in relation to the soffited speakers, the angles involved will let reflections from the desk pass beneath your ears and onward to the rear wall, which hopefully is absorbed.

Only thing you may want to experiment with once you're up and running, is some absorption around the back and sides of the display. Looks like possible early reflections could happen there... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
Sen

Post by Sen »

cool avatar steve...is that picture from when you were older...? :)
Kind regards
Sen
rsb

Post by rsb »

Thanks steve.

I actually have the units in the picture below on both walls. I am planning to put slats on them.

Thanks again

Ryan

Its nice to know I am getting closer to hearing the whole setup....This has been a long road.
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

"...is that picture from when you were older...? " -

Yeah, Sen, 'bout 20 years older than I am now :roll: Shot at a Halloween gig, had to crop most of it for the avatar though...

Ryan, getting closer by the day, good job. Any other questions, you already know where to come... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...