glass gift horse

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

terrible_buddhist

glass gift horse

Post by terrible_buddhist »

I have stumbled upon some 3x5 by 3/8 glass. 2 sheets to be exact...I know they are supposed to be different thicknesses...but can I get away with this?
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

You can, spaced at 3" apart they would give STC 44, with a dip down to 40 dB at around 1250 hZ; replacing one panel with 1/4" glass would move the dip up to 1600 hZ and 41 dB. Both ways would end up at 22 dB by the time you get down to 63 hZ, so I doubt you'd be able to hear the difference.

If you can space them further apart, there's a slight gain in performance at the low end - 4" spacing improves low end by about 1 dB.

You could concievably trade one sheet for 1/4", but it probably wouldn't be worth the hassle... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
nukmusic

Post by nukmusic »

I just bought two 3 x 5 pieces of 1/4" :D from another fireman, same one that's cutting the opening in m bricks for the door into the studio from outside. Wish you were close, we could have traded.