How do you build a better door?

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

sjaguar13

How do you build a better door?

Post by sjaguar13 »

I am going for cheap a cheap hobby recording studio, but I want a better door. I was planning on using two smaller closet doors with insulation inbetween them. Is there anything I could do that won't cost a lot, but make it sound better?
frederic

Re: How do you build a better door?

Post by frederic »

sjaguar13 wrote:I am going for cheap a cheap hobby recording studio, but I want a better door. I was planning on using two smaller closet doors with insulation inbetween them. Is there anything I could do that won't cost a lot, but make it sound better?
What I did for my studio entrance is buy a pre-hung pine door from home depot, then a second pine door the same size, then hang it on the other side.

Then I nailed rectangular moulding that I trimmed to fit almost snug between the door, and mitered it across the sides, top and bottom. Then I'm going to glue a 1/4" strip of neoprene around both sides of the moulding, so it touches the doors on all four sides.

$150 total cost, and they look really nice too.

Solid doors help a lot as do the gaskets you make to go around the perimeter.
sjaguar13

Post by sjaguar13 »

Do the two doors touch, and is there any insulation inbetween them?
frederic

Post by frederic »

sjaguar13 wrote:Do the two doors touch, and is there any insulation inbetween them?
The doors seal on the moulding, which is chaulked to the door frame, and the neoprene (or rubber) seals the doors to the moulding.

The insulation is "air", when both doors are closed.

This is the same principle as a double-pane window, where the two pieces of glass are sealed using metal channel with butyl rubber inserted, then filled with argon or another inert gas. The double pane is essentially a sealed chamber, isolating sound and temperature changes. This is why I'm recommending this for your door. Its not that difficult to do, though a little time consuming to route out the hinges and such.