Midimonkey Misc Construction Pictures

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

frederic

Midimonkey Misc Construction Pictures

Post by frederic »

Slanted ceiling going up.
frederic

Post by frederic »

I hate angled ceilings.
frederic

Post by frederic »

The doorway, unframed. Gutted the old frame trying to make it wider, and actually move the door slightly to the left so I can squeeze in a taller door.
frederic

Post by frederic »

side window plywooded, track lighting wiring hanging out, new door laying on its side.
frederic

Post by frederic »

Ceiling to sofa cove done, webcam outlet, 100mb connection, all done and terminated.

oooooooooo, webcam, a neat advertising gimmick I thought was kinda cool. One of the switches in the wall zap the power to the camera if I want it on or off, so I don't have to Netscape my way over to it to adjust its function.
frederic

Post by frederic »

Start of plywooding the new slanted, higher ceiling. By making these weird angles I bought myself almost an additional foot of height in the middle of the room.
frederic

Post by frederic »

The steep slant and the minor slant meeting each other at a level point. Ignore the minor gaps between the plywood, I got sick of planing them to fit, which is a real pain in the butt. Anyway, its all chaulked along the joists (two beads) so its sealed. I'll be shooting chaulk into any gaps before I put on the sheetrock.
frederic

Post by frederic »

The new door, moved 4" to the left, though I still couldn't fit anything wider than an 18" door unless I wanted to lower the top of the door. I'd rather turn sideways than bend over, only because I've bumped my head a few times. This is the house entrance to the studio. I have a "normal" stairwell and main entrance on the side of the house, for guests, customers, and friends. You can see the vibrating shower stall's back facing my room.
frederic

Post by frederic »

Progress on the wall. Overhead outlet installed, wired, chaulked, insulation in the channels holding the shower stall. Not idea, but acceptable. I'd have redone that wall but it requires me to destroy the bathroom - wife didn't give permission so I have to live with it for now. Once we redo the bathroom, I can remodel that wall from the other side :-D
frederic

Post by frederic »

The "entertainment center" for work motivation.

Loud, streamed, "hair metal" :-D I had to find the grilles (which I thought were long gone) to keep sawdust off the drivers, but I vacuum them every so often trying to keep the grilles clean. Same for the laptop.
frederic

Post by frederic »

The weird "cove" as I call it, where I have two slants. its coming out good (I think) considering the weird angles and all the weird studs/joists/whatever that came with the place. I don't have a picture of it finished, but right now its closed up entirely, and well insulated.
frederic

Post by frederic »

Builders insist insulation batts of any type should never EVER rest against the inner roof whether its level or slanted because the batts will trap moisture and quickly rot out the roof sheathing and you're looking at an expensive repair down the road. Since I wanted to use massively thick batts of insulation for both thermal and acoustical properties, here is the trick.

Joists - 18" on the centers.
Metal chicken wire - 20" on the centers. Bow the chicken wire across its 20" width, and put in the edges first. Staple it down about 1/2" from the sheathing, THEN pack in your insulation. Viola, airspace to allow things to dry out after humid or rainy days.

This gives about 1/2" at edges of the joists, and about 2.5" in the center or so. Combine with soffit vents and stuff, and you can keep the area cool, dry, and effective.
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Cool pix, Frederic, have you modeled that "interesting" room in Cara yet? :twisted: :twisted: :wink: That's what I thought...

I've used/recommended chicken wire for similar uses in traps, but that's a good use too, cool...

Might wanna gently blow the sawdust out of your laptop's cooling fan eventually, unless you're looking for excuses to get a new one :?

I could never work in your studio, Frederic - pizza withdrawal isn't a pretty sight, even with somebody better looking than I am; hafta keep a chain saw available to get through those "thin man" doors...

Say, what kind of caulk have you been using and where do you get it? (Inquiring minds want to know)

Thanks for the update, it's always interesting... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
frederic

Post by frederic »

Cool pix, Frederic, have you modeled that "interesting" room in Cara yet? :twisted: :twisted: :wink: That's what I thought...
heh-heh
Might wanna gently blow the sawdust out of your laptop's cooling fan eventually, unless you're looking for excuses to get a new one :?
I do on occasion, and out of the keyboard. Its an older laptop, all I have on it is AOL and "total recorder" for snagging streams into mp3's. Was free anyway.
I could never work in your studio, Frederic - pizza withdrawal isn't a pretty sight, even with somebody better looking than I am; hafta keep a chain saw available to get through those "thin man" doors...
As I mentioned earlier the stairwell under the flip-floor vocal booth is a normal stairwell, as is the outside door. The "anti-pizza" door just keeps you out of the bathroom :-D
Say, what kind of caulk have you been using and where do you get it? (Inquiring minds want to know)
Its some kind of generic chaulk, silicone based. Its in unlabeled tubes, its clear, and very thick. I'll find out from my buddy what it is, he gave me several cases for this project as a present.
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

"The "anti-pizza" door just keeps you out of the bathroom " -

Still no good - as age creeps up (OK, runs at me with sharpened chainsaw) the bathroom is BARELY second in priority to pizza (sigh)
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...