Control Room Ceilings

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

Harper

Control Room Ceilings

Post by Harper »

I couldn't find much info on control room ceilings.

Do i need to angle it? If so how much, where?

and if I have a wood floor, can i have a ceiling with isulation with fabric covering it, or is there something special I should do?
VSpaceBoy

Post by VSpaceBoy »

From what I've read you'll want a 12 degree drop from front to back to past the mix position.
rod gervais

Post by rod gervais »

Harper,

I believe in the adage - "live floor - dead ceiling"........ however - much depends on the room contruction - and should be addressed after hearing the room itself.

I have seen control rooms with 12" square ceiling tiles glued to the bottom of gypsum - that need no further treatment......... the rooms were beautiful with just the tiles..........

So this isn't something that is applicable to all applications. Everything depends on the room itself.

As to the question of ceiling pitch........ generally this gives you greater area in the room - which is a good thing........ and also helps to take 2 parallel surfaces out of the equation as far as phase cancellation/enhancing........ however - the minimum requirement i have used for work i've done is 1" in 12" - not 12 degrees....... the 1 in 12 translates to 4.76 degrees (rounded).

Rod
Ignore the man behind the curtain........
giles117

Post by giles117 »

Harper, check these links. John desires and recomends a minimum of 6 degrees with a preferred of 12. Here are some links to support and expand on that.

Bryan Giles

http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=79

http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=457

Bryan Giles
Sen

Post by Sen »

giles117 wrote:Harper, check these links. John desires and recomends a minimum of 6 degrees with a preferred of 12.
It's minimum of 12 degrees that's been talked about, it's just that two walls splayed at 6 degrees each,give you 12..

....I think
Kind regards
Sen
giles117

Post by giles117 »

You are right on point Sen. That is what I did in my control room. The ceiling divided in half with each half angle down towards it's respective wall between 6 to 8 degrees.

Bryan Giles
Harper

Post by Harper »

Do I even have to angle the ceiling?

I have a hard wood floor, I was just going to insulate the ceiling and then put fabric over top. so the ceiling is soft.

Will this be alright?
Harper

Post by Harper »

Do I even have to angle the ceiling?

I have a hard wood floor, I was just going to insulate the ceiling and then put fabric over top. so the ceiling is soft.

Will this be alright?
Sen

Post by Sen »

No, you don't have to angle the ceiling, but if you're going for the RFZ (reflection free zone) then the front end of the control room is usually all live with the fact that your walls and ceiling are angled so that they direct the reflections past the mixing position.. You would then absorb in the back of the room
I'm sure someone will be able to elaborate on this a bit more, a sI could be slightly "off target" in some of the statements...
But anyway,,,i hope it helps you....good luck Harper :)
Kind regards
Sen
giles117

Post by giles117 »

Hey Sen, you are on point. As soon as I get some new pics they will show the front of my control room. I need a wide angle lense to do it justice.

I showed a pic of the rear ceiling construction. But nothing of the front of the room since doing my ceiling.

It models what you have just said. Per Johns Wisdom and knowledge. The front is angled down to reflect the sound to the rear floor which then bounces off that floor and is absorbed in my rear walls and ceiling.

Bryan Giles