Hebel Bricks

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

Al

Hebel Bricks

Post by Al »

Anyone have any experience using Hebel products?
If I were to build a room in a room, would these serve as good way to construct the outer wall of the inner room? Or how 'bout the walls between the control room and the studio?
Check out www.hebelaustralia.com.au for more products.
Thanks
Al
Sen

Re: Hebel Bricks

Post by Sen »

Al wrote:Anyone have any experience using Hebel products?
If I were to build a room in a room, would these serve as good way to construct the outer wall of the inner room? Or how 'bout the walls between the control room and the studio?
Check out www.hebelaustralia.com.au for more products.
Thanks
Al
Al,
I think any brick will do as long as they're not damaged too much so that you can't lay 'em properly. I would recommend using the cheapest you can find. I looked at the link, but wasn't able to find any pictures of the bricks. If you don't care about the colour and don't have to match your studio esthetically with anything else, just use second hand bricks...you'll save at least half the money.
The wall between CR and studio would probably be better if it was the stud/plaster construction.

hope it helps a little.. :)
Kind regards
Sen
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Sen, from what I saw on the site it looks like they sell more like hollow concrete blocks and some specialty stuff, not "real" bricks...

Al, I've no experience with the particular product but the 75PP wall construction looks to be a good isolation wall.

I downloaded several of their PDF's - between CR and tracking room it (the 75PP) should do quite well, with an STC rating of 64 - It would also allow independent bedding of double glass windows, although you'd need to use pretty good glass to minimise degradation of the STC at the window.

Now, if they don't want 10 times what you could build it for in regular materials, you should be good.

On the other hand, Sen has a good point in that double-framed walls with double wallboard on the outer sides of each are effectuve and reasonably priced... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
Michael Jones

Post by Michael Jones »

Bricks are cheap. Less than a buck (US) a square foot.
Getting them put up is where you run into the money. It cost me around $3.50/sq.ft.
So it cost me around $4500 to "brick" my studio.
Worth it in my book, but a significant cost to consider.