Is panel absorbers fabric like "burlap" flammable?

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

hugo_inside

Is panel absorbers fabric like "burlap" flammable?

Post by hugo_inside »

I'm thinking of make some panel abrsobers for my rehearsal rooms. but I have a problem. I don't know if any fabric is very flammable. people usually smokes when they rehears...

Any idea or advice??

I think there must be unflammable fabric but maybe not too cheap... :roll:
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Most fabrics ARE flammable; in the US, only Guilford of Maine fabrics come already flame proofed that I'm aware of. OThers can be treated, here's one company I have a link to

http://www.natfire.com/

You may find something similar in your area, try searching on some of the key words like fire, cloth, spray, etc... Steve

Smoking is becoming less of a problem here in the US (more places it's against the law), but fire safety is still very important.

For a public facility like yours, you may want to look into using metal mesh for covers on absorbers instead of cloth...
hugo_inside

Post by hugo_inside »

Thanks Steve, in Spain smoking is still not forbidden in public places. I can put "NO SMOKING" but the law forbid me to put flammable materials on public rooms.

I try to find a "METAL MESH" or something similar fot covering the panel absorbers. :wink:

hugo_inside

Post by hugo_inside »

Reading another thread I think of another way to avoid flames problem.

http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 4959#24959

What about Kraft paper? there are fiberglass panels with this paper, what do you think about this?

sharward

Post by sharward »

Are you sure that's kraft? That looks like foil to me.
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

That's what is known as "FRK" type rigid fiberglass; a bit better for bass absorption but not as good in higher frequency ranges. It is an aluminum foil AFAIK.

You can use quite a bit tighter mesh than what you show, and still not hurt absorption... Steve
hugo_inside

Post by hugo_inside »

If I use this FRK panels on corners and carpet in the fron wall, will I have a good balance?
hugo_inside

Post by hugo_inside »

I found kind of unflammable mesh. The first is metal mesh for rabbits or chicken jails. In spain the price is about 7 € sq. meter. But lloking for this metal mesh I found MOSQUITO MESH. It's made of FIBER GLASS 100%. And is not flammable, and there are 3 diferent colors (grey, black, green) and the price is quite good: aprox 2 € sq meter.

What do you think?? Is a good material for panel absorbers, isn't it?
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

I answered on the mosquito mesh in your same post in Acoustics; as to carpet, almost ALL carpet is FLAMMABLE; placing it on walls is dangerous, it collects dust, mites, mold, etc, and is generally (even acoustically) a VERY BAD idea... Steve