Breaking parallels without hangers. Is that possible??

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

hugo_inside

Breaking parallels without hangers. Is that possible??

Post by hugo_inside »

If I made a room where existing walls are paralels and I isolate the room with steel frame and rock wool and gypsium panels, if I "break" the corners with steel framing and I don't put hangers behind the space between the new wall and the existing wall, that way is correct? Or I must cover this new walls with slats and fill the space with rockwool or glassfiber?
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

You could just put the framing and gypsum across the corners and insulate, but you'd get better sound INSIDE the room by cutting across the corners with either slat resonators or cloth-covered rockwool

The slats would make it more "idiot-proof", if it's for the practice rooms - you could leave wider gaps (like maybe 15mm) which would make the corners act more broadband... Steve
hugo_inside

Post by hugo_inside »

Is for the studio rooms. john gives me this idea, but I don't know well If the brown areas are wall units or isolation walls too(sheetrock/rockwool)
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

If they were parallel, they'd likely be for isolation - but the darker, non-parallel parts are acoustic treatments of some kind. When the inner boundary is just frame with absorbers, it's wide-band absorption. When done as a slat resonator, it's more tuned (formula/spreadsheet in the Acoustics forum) and will keep the room brighter-sounding... Steve