Plastered walls from the ceiling to the floor???

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

hugo_inside

Plastered walls from the ceiling to the floor???

Post by hugo_inside »

if I plaster the walls 1/2" and I want to build a floating floor, should the plaster go to the floor or it must be ON the floating floor?

What's the first step building floating floor or plaster the walls?? And ceiling in wich position is, after the plaster or before it?

thanks!
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Hugo, when you say "plaster the walls", do you really mean using gypsum wallboard over a frame, or actually "plastering" over small thin boards which have first been attached to the frame? In the US, this used to be a standard way of construction, but now is almost NEVER done because of time/cost.

As to which comes first, it depends on cost and the degree of isolation needed - for max isolation, floating a floor over concrete THEN building wall frames (for the inner mass of m-a-m) THEN building a separate ceiling frame is the best - if the walls are already in place, or if they will be just one solid concrete wall (no air or second mass), then putting a soft "perimeter board" around the walls and floating the floor inside that is another way. This "perimeter board" is usually either high density rigid fiberglass/rockwool insulation, or "celotex", which is a compressed/treated "acoustic tile" sort of board, typically 12.5mm thick or 18mm thick.

Walls would depend (I'm assuming you're talking about your practice rooms, NOT the studio part) on whether you will fill the blocks with sand - you've still not posted a drawing of your plan with any detail (or maybe I just haven't seen it, sorry) - if you have, can you post a link to it for me? I'm too short on time to spend a half hour looking, thanks... Steve
hugo_inside

Post by hugo_inside »

I understand "plaster" is to cover block holes with gypsium paste and smooth the wall surface.
Is that correct? :oops:

here is the plan:
hugo_inside

Post by hugo_inside »

a big plan: :roll:
Sword9

Post by Sword9 »

you building a motel? :D

question about your row of top rooms on that drawing...how do you enter them?
SaM Harrison
Location Engineers
Nashville, TN
hugo_inside

Post by hugo_inside »

the top room are a future project... :oops: this is the reason because i don't draw the doors :wink:

The small rooms are rehearsal rooms and the bigger are a recording studio.
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Hugo, that's one problem with the english language - too many meanings for the same word...

Plaster is a word like that; for building ONLY, it STILL has too many meanings - it can mean the mixture you use to spread on a surface, like you said - it can mean the entire OLD STYLE wall, where the frame was covered with spaced slats and then "plastered" with this mortar-like mixture, allowed to dry, and painted - it can mean "plaster-board", another word for Gypsum wallboard;

For MODERN use, the old plaster walls aren't used any more; so your definition is as good as any... :? Steve
hugo_inside

Post by hugo_inside »

Here in Spain this OLD STYLE is still used very usually... perhaps we are so backward than US in building.

I don't find a good pic of that: cover and fill the holes with gypsium paste and smotth the surface with this item:
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Yeah, that's the one - and the old ways aren't necessarily bad, just too time-consuming for today's fast-paced world. I've seen older lath-and-plaster construction that's still as good as the day it was done, that's 75 years old - don't remember seeing any newer constructions I felt would last that long... Steve
hugo_inside

Post by hugo_inside »

Now I know that's RENDERING in english :D I'm learning a few everyday :roll:
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Just don't let John confuse you with all his wierd "aussie" words, or we're BOTH in trouble... :?