soundproofing a live/work space(loft)

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

gabe real

soundproofing a live/work space(loft)

Post by gabe real »

I would like to say hello and thank you to everyone on this site . I have read a few posts and it's helped a great deal.

Ok, here is the thing, I'm moving into a loft in Ontario, California and I need to do some soundproofing and I can't do much because I'm renting.
I have purchased some MLV with high hopes for some magic response, then to come here and feel like I wasted some money. I was thinking of building a temporary floating room, something I could take with me when i move out. I'm a DJ and Hip Hop producer and don't use any live instruments(not yet). Just need a vocal booth and a control room.
Could i get away with just putting up the MLV on the walls and some absorbant materials? Any help would be great.
thank you
gabe real

Post by gabe real »

oh yeah, people live in front and on both sides of me, but nobody above or below. the lofts are set up like apartments. the walls are 6inch wide(2x6 studs) with one layer of 5/8 drywall on both sides with r13 for insulation. it has a store front window, all glass with glass door, the whole thing is about 10ft wide by 7 feet tall.
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

The first page of this link should help you understand what works and what doesn't better -

http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=598

basically, you're already living in a 2-leaf world from the sound of it so building yet another wall in the form of a floated room may actually WORSEN your isolation.

Also, you may have flanking problems if the space wasn't built in the last few years - if so, then it might be necessary to live with the third leaf that an inner room would create, making that leaf heavier to help compensate for the loss in low frequency isolation.

Be careful though - this will take some serious examination of the existing building, to make sure structure can support the extra weight... Steve
gabe real

Post by gabe real »

thank you, i have read most of that post and will go back and read it again.
it was a old building that was rentovated and was just recently finnished.
all the walls are new. i'm still not moved in yet because they are still fixing some things in the building. i also have a problem with fire sprinklers,so i can't really put to much on the ceiling or build another room without sprinklers in it. i'll give more info and some pics soon, maybe a floor plan. thanks again,

i spend alot of time on this site now, great info.