Attic studio

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

theharvest

Attic studio

Post by theharvest »

hey i was planning on building a small studio in my attic i currently am running a room in room design at a friends house but want a better desgined and more comfortable place to record. i have a attic that i can use and was wondering first off if that would be a good place to have it. Second the pitched roof may play a problem but i have permission to do whatevr it takes to do it. some of my main concerns are what wall thickness and construction should i have going from the control room to the recording room? also the only problem currently is the face that my mom and dad sleep right under were i was putting the recording room. is there anyway to limi the sound traveling threw the floor?
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Hi, and welcome to the forum - first, can you please edit your profile to include a location? Too hard to suggest things not knowing where people are in the world.

Next, "attic" and "room in room" both raise large warning flags, not to mention "sleeping parents below" - would need a LOT more info to even hazard a guess on the feasibility.

Things like -
Existing floor/ceiling joist size/spacing
Span between upright supports
Existing construction, top to bottom, of attic floor
Slope and height of existing ceiling, including floor plan showing what is where
Stairwell construction and framing, as well as existing sheathing (if any)
Pix would help, as well as the above info
Whether or not live drums will be used
Budget approximation (along with your location, this is VITAL)

Anything else you can think of that may affect sound travel -

About the only question I can answer without all this is - Yes, it can be done - whether it can be done in your case depends on most of the above. If your space is pretty tight already, it will get a lot tighter with the necessary changes -

So please, change your profile and dig into these areas, let's get this going... Steve