Staggered or double timber stud

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

edenorchestra

Staggered or double timber stud

Post by edenorchestra »

I have been playing with the INSUL software and am trying to understand the actual differance in a staggered vs double timber stud frame.

Andre you and I have been discussing this wall and I have begun the laborious process of filling in the outer wall with drywall. Looking at my picture here, what framing would you call this besides goofey.

Also what do you think about using drywall joint compound to fill the voids between the drywall and the studs to seal up this inner leaf?

regards,
Mark
AVare
Confused, but not senile yet

Post by AVare »

Thanks for the clear pictire. It made your questions quite understandable.

Thinking about the wall construction with the inner wall studs imbedded in the concrete, I would call it closer to double stud than staggered stud. Of course this is also dependent on how the tops of the walls are connected. Hopefully they will not be connected at the top at all.

As regards to what to fill the space between the drywall and studs with, I am not qualified to answer that with any degree of knowledge. My first guess would be to use acoustic caulk. That is only my guess. Drywall compound would be my second guess.

Intelligent people will be able to give a better answer.

Andre