original Ns 10s (not the studio type)

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

chippy

original Ns 10s (not the studio type)

Post by chippy »

Hi I have a pair of original Ns-10s the ones with the removable cloth fronts, not the studio ones.
The original Ns-10s have different tweeters so I was wondering if I could replace the tweeters with the newer studio type?

What is the difference between the two models :?: Is it just the tweeters :?:

www.dazwood.co.uk
....sound recording, mixing, audio editing, CDs, studio training....
barefoot

Post by barefoot »

The short answer in no, you typically can't just throw in a different driver and expect things to work properly. (Sidestepping the debate over whether any NS-10 ever actually worked properly ;))

However, a retrofit shouldn't be a big deal. This site gives the crossover schematic (plus some modifications) for what I'm pretty sure is the newer version of the NS-10. http://www.dillonacoustics.com/Loudspea ... _XOYA1.htm Check your crossover and see if the tweeter section is the same. If yes, then just pop the newer tweeter in. If no, replace the old crossover component values with those in this schematic and the newer tweeter should work fine. The woofer didn't change, so no modification of that section of the crossover is necessary.

You might also need to modify the cabinet a bit to make the newer tweeter fit, but this is all very doable.

Hope this helps!:)
Thomas
Thomas Barefoot
Barefoot Sound
nukmusic

Post by nukmusic »

Barefoot.......? I remember reading(a while back) something about the Ns-10's started or where just a good pair of home bookshelf speakers that become popular. Was this article correct? :?

Man I really need to design something that I could sell for "3 payments of 19.95" (plus shipping and handling). :D :D
Eric Best

Post by Eric Best »

Actually it was supposedly a design that wasn't selling well for Yamaha, so they gave a bunch of them away to executives at record companies. Some enterprising engineers decided that if that is what our songs are going to be listened to we should probably get a pair and and get it to sound good on them and we'll be more successful. Everyone starts seeing them on the meter bridges of the big studio's and starts buying them because the "big boys" use them and I can afford them, thereby (is that a word?) becoming a standard in the industry.

NS-10's really are not a good sounding speaker.

Eric
"It don't get no better than this"
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

This is the story as I heard it from guys who were working with Bob Clearmountain at the time. It appears Bob had been asked by a friend to get him a pair of cheap bookshelf speakers for around $300. So during a lunch break Bob went out and found these small Yamaha speakers which sounded OK and were around $300 so he bought them. Getting back to the studio he decided to fire them up to make sure they were OK. he set them up on the console and worked with them for awhile. He ran off a quick mix of what he was doing to take home. When he played the mix in his car, and later at home he was amazed at the truth of the mix transfer - it was still sounding the same as it did back at the studio. The mix compatability was excellent so he bought a pair and started working with them. The rest is history.

That's how they became famous as I understand.

cheers
john