Post-Construction Acoustical Design

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

spicyitaliano

Post-Construction Acoustical Design

Post by spicyitaliano »

Hi folks. While along my journey of studio construction, I've run across a slight problem. Let me start from the top.

I really want to build John's Absorber panels for the front of my control room. Being in a smaller room (12x14) its almost instrumental (no pun intended). :lol:

Well, the walls are built. Wallboarded, finished, and sanded down ready for painting. So there's no turning back now. But If I wanted to build his panels, how would I go about acheiving the same effect (acoustically and aesthetically) as if I had build them in the construction phase.

I guess my main question is regarding the connection to the wall. Should I just stand it in the corner? Surely not, as this would create an air space behind it. Maybe it doesn't matter that much. Ok then, lets look at aesthetics, it's not flush. Hmmm. What do I do?

Any advice would be great!
Thanks, Andy.
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Andy, are you referring to the corner absorbers here ?

http://www.johnlsayers.com/HR/index1.htm

John's posted a lot of designs, just need to know if we're on the same page here... Steve
spicyitaliano

Post by spicyitaliano »

Yes Steve. And more specifically, the corner absorbers and the rear absorber.
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

OK, how many layers of wallboard are there, and is it mounted straight to the studs or is it mounted on Resilient Channel? I'd need to know your exact wall construction all the way through, including framing method - then, I'd need to know your sound isolation needs, as well as whether you'd be up for building the traps into the existing structure or if you want them to remain free standing; also, whether you intend to build them as slat resonators or as broadband absorbers (generally, in the front of a room where the speakers are NOT soffit mounted, absorption is more likely to work for you without causing early reflection problems... Steve
spicyitaliano

Post by spicyitaliano »

Thanks Steve.

The wall construction was rather simple. Our design began with two walls. Each of them is standard studded construction. The walls are standing exactly 2 inches apart all the way around both the control and live rooms. Each wall contains a layer of fiberglass acoustical/thermal insulation (soft find) squezzed between each stud. Then a layer of Homosote and a layer of Dry Wall. Both walls are built in the same fashion, exactly 2 inches apart all the way around. The control room is a good 14x12 feet and the live rom is 16x14 feet.

The isolation is rather nice. I brought down a home theater system and did an outside-inside test by cranking it up, with all the bass it has to offer (lots!), closed all the doors and stood outside. I little bass presence, and only when you're near doors. Besides that, our plan worked wonderully. A month of research online led us to compile all of our research and adapt it to our needs and budget. The studio is well insulated all around, and between room to room.

The final construction is being finished, including lighting, air conditioning and electronics, which yes, we did our homework about the do's and don't. So we're set there. The window is being installed tomorrow. After a lot of time of planning and planning again, we've got the perfect design for us. I'm not worried about any problems here.

Once all this is completed, we finish the trimming, flooring and painting. After that, its time to evaluate the acoustics. Being a smaller control room than the typical big rigs out there, I have opted for a more absobtive room. The floor will be half wood, half carpet. The ceiling will be absorbtive, not diffusive, being only 9 feet high. This is really based on all the great advice I've read on this forum.

The room is rectangular, but the floor and room if a little dynamic. We've got an 8" riser in the back for the couch, and the ceiling drops down a good 2 feet in the back of the room at a 90 degree angle. (This was due to an inevitable construction problem, and it's just how it had to be done.)

So, you can get a feel for what the room looks like. The window in the front of the control room is 6x3 feet, and the front wall is 12 feet. That's what I have to work with for the front of the room. This is where I need some guidance.

Let me know your thoughts on all this. I just want to tell you that the main construction of the room is set in stone. Any additional construction will have to be added, but I think I'd prefer free-standing panels so they can be used in another room someday, maybe.

Thanks.

P.S.

Take a look at the picture. This shows the free standing panels in a simple manner. Looks good, and it seems like it would do an excellent job. Another thing that I was wondering, how do these panels stand up straight if they are free-standing? Do they attach to the ceiling and floor, or perhaps to the back wall? Or are they 3-dimentional objects that can stand on their own? Also look at the picture from Phase One. Maybe this custom design on the walls may be a better option. Thanks.
VSpaceBoy

Post by VSpaceBoy »

Nice studio.

Just curious, what was the reason for not framing in the hvac duct?

Ron
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

I'm a little confused - are either of those pix your space, or someone elses? And if the second pic is your space, it looks like the panels are doing just fine as they are??!?

Can you post pix of your own space, including one looking at the wall you're asking about?

Thanks... Steve
spicyitaliano

Post by spicyitaliano »

Ok Hold up. First off, no that's not my space!! Gee I wish it were :lol:

I was really just referring to them for reference. But I'm sorry this post hasn't gone the way I intended at all. I've been going through some surgery and I've been in and out of it for the last couple of days. I haven't been able to keep up with that exactly I was trying to ask you. I'm still not really sure what I was trying to say.

The drugs are wearing off and I think I can finally get back to the discussion. I'm just going to close out this post and start a new one with all new questions and pictures.

Look for it on the forum. Thanks guys.
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

No problem, spice-man - take it easy, rest up and heal, and when you're back from "la la land" we'll still be here... Steve