Wood Floors

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

cfuehrer

Wood Floors

Post by cfuehrer »

I wanted to see if anyone has any information on the room tonal difference between laminate wood floor and real hardwood floor?

I would like to use a real hardwood floor figuring it would have a "Sound" to my live room, but it's so expensive. Considering there is a finish applied I would assume that it would kind of nullify the actual tonal characteristics of have a wood floor and if I was to use a laminate floor I would not really be able to distinguish it from a finished hardwood floor.
Peace,

Carl Fuehrer
Pulsar Audio Lab
http://www.pulsaraudiolab.com
rod gervais

Post by rod gervais »

Carl,

all of the studios i've worked on used floors similar to Bruce, Hartco, etc.

Never a problem -

I don't believe you could tell the difference from a purely acoustical point of view.

Rod
Ignore the man behind the curtain........
giles117

Post by giles117 »

A Lot of us have done the wood parquet flooring. Cheaper then the other wood manufacturers and you get the wood sound. I am sure there is a difference in tone between laminate (PLASTIC) and wood. :)

Heck, walk on them and you hear a tonal difference. Now whether it will affect what you hear, only the golden ears can tell you this one...... And personally, I like the sound of wood in a room versus laminates.

Bryan Giles
cfuehrer

Post by cfuehrer »

That's what I am thinking too. I don't like the ink jet printer and fake grain look on Pergo and stuff. Now just to deceide whether I want to use Light Maple or Birch? Hmmmm.
Peace,

Carl Fuehrer
Pulsar Audio Lab
http://www.pulsaraudiolab.com