Knightfly, your post is confusing me!

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

Michael Jones

Knightfly, your post is confusing me!

Post by Michael Jones »

The diagram located here:
http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 8&start=45
seems to show that the 2 studs are actually touching each other.
Isn't that a bad thing?

What's wrong with doing it like this:
Michael Jones

Post by Michael Jones »

And a view from the other side:
Notice that the staggered stud, exterior wall has no studs that touch the flanking interior wall.
giles117

Post by giles117 »

Hey Mike, I'd reverse your wall materials layouts making sure you seal those ends with acoustical sealant (the opposing wall materials.)

Bryan Giles
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Michael, good catch - I originally started out to draw that WITHOUT the left, wood framed wall - the horizontal 2x4 was just going to be an anchor for the rubber-surrounded sway brace that holds the right, steel stud frame in place without hard contact.

In my drawing, though, this is showing a CEILING with two walls coming up to it. Still, there is a flanking path thru the solid wood wall frame's cap and into the ceiling joists. I'll re-do that as soon as I can, thank you -

Your proposed layout is fine as far as framing goes, but you'll get better corners if you bring one panel in from the left, leave 1/4" gap, caulk, then one panel in from the right, 1/4" gap, caulk, and alternate til you're done - this gives more caulk beads and a much more tortuous path for sound leaks, without any hard contact between intersecting wall panels.

I'll notate that drawing that confused you, until I can replace it with a better one. Again, thanks for catching that... Steve
Michael Jones

Post by Michael Jones »

Point taken guys.
I just threw the material up there for the photo.
The actual method of installation will be like you're saying.
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Michael, I redrew the drawing in question - see what you think... Steve