New Room in Industrial Stip Center Questions

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Have the pic anywhere on your hard drive - then, click the browse button below the "typing window" (need a subject or it won't post)

browse to the picture file, double-click the file. Now, the small Filename window should have the path to your file; then click Submit. Works for me... Steve
Jai

pix

Post by Jai »

here are existing layout
"Love the Music in Yourself,
Not Yourself in the Music."
Jai

New Layout

Post by Jai »

OK I can Not get it to save path and load. i have tried Jpeg, and giff both under 100k. I put a subject in but still no post. when I hit add attachment is does its thing but then comes back with no attach path or attachment. Any ideas? i am within all specs i believe. sorry for the stupid probs.

jai
Jai

Studio in Industrial Strip Center

Post by Jai »

O.K. So I am an idiot and can not post these here so i have set them up on my website. Here is the Link:

www.themixstudio.com/layout.html

I have a few questions but will wait to see if this will work in the experts eyes. My questions are very specific to this design.

Let me know what ya'll think....

jai
www.themixstudio.com
Jai

Industrial Srtip Studio

Post by Jai »

O.K. A few more quesstions as they pop up.

1. We (You all) have determined I only need buil a single leaf on my floating floors cus of the existing leaf of the building. But do I need to Pu Drywall on the angle iron ceiling. The tar over tin has venting and is really not a leaf-as I study other posts here. Other posts point to the venting and say this will not be a suitable leaf. Is this the case?

2. Between my control room B and A do I need to build a 2nd leaf or do I just extend the air gap and still only build each inner leaf of each studio?

Thanks for the help,

jai
www.themixstudio.com
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Jai, looks like you have a good start on a floor plan, but I'm short on time and so didn't look really close yet - basically, for sound isolation the BEST (not the only) way is two leaf, one air space. In the case where you have no control over the outer leaf of your tenant walls, your only choice is to do what you can on your own side. In this case, you'll have to ignore the outer leaf and put at least two more layers of wallboard on your side of the wall - then, if you use metal studs (or wood for that matter) and build a second wall frame, put wallboard only on one side of that frame. I know this gives effectively a triple wall, but if you put one more layer on each of the two leaves you have access to, it will minimise the loss caused by the triple leaf construction. I don't know any way around this, short of replacing that wall with something different from scratch.

For isolation within your studio, you need to analyze each barrier as a separate case - the sound needs to have two, and only two, leaves of mass between the sound source and ANYWHERE it tries to go. Things that improve isolation - hermetic sealing everywhere, wider air gap between leaves, heavier mass, different characteristics in any pair of leaves in a sound wall, 2.5 to 3 PCF insulation in walls, insulation touching the panels to dampen vibrations, no hard contact between adjoining walls, and probably a few I've forgotten to mention.

If you start with beefing up your outer perimeter, then you can consider that your "first leaf" between your tracking areas and the neighbors. The concrete wall, while not bad, will also benefit from a separate frame (around 8" air gap is a good compromise) and at least two layers of wallboard.

Play with these thoughts a bit and ask more... Steve
dymaxian

Post by dymaxian »

Well, you're probably right about the ceiling not doing you much good. Most of the time, the roof needs to be watertight (you do have a good roof here, don't you? Don't need water dripping onto your recording gear!) and that'll be pretty close to air-tight. The vents in it can be protected pretty easily.

How high is the existing ceiling in there, anyway?

If you can wallboard under the roof joists/trusses/whatever, that might solve the roofing problem too.

As far as extra leaves between the control rooms (or any of the sound-sensitive rooms) you should be ok with just wall-boarding the inside faces of the rooms. As long as each room is pretty much self-contained, there shouldnt be much sound moving between them. Out in the common space, you will get more noise coming out of the tracking rooms, but that's not hard to deal with... You seem to have a perimeter between the common area with the offices, bathroom, and waiting rooms, and the recording area. If you extend this wall up to the ceiling and wallboard one side, you'll have the second of 2 leaves separating the 2 areas. The air above the recording rooms' ceilings will act as the spring area (even tho it's a very big spring).

Hope this helps- you've got a great space there. We're used to people posting with 15'x15'x7' high spaces, saying they want a tracking room big enough for a 4 piece band, 2 iso booths and as big a control room as they can get...

Good luck!

Kase
www.minemusic.net
Kase
www.minemusic.net

"to hell with the CD sales! Download the MP3s and come to the shows!"
Jai

New Studio in Industrial Strip Center

Post by Jai »

Kase Thanks a million for all the help. I think Im pretty clear as to my construction issues. I am gonna move on over to the design forum and bother John for a while. I am hoping that by the time I get the shells built I will have a better grasp of the fihish out. If anybody ever needs any electrical or audio wiring help send them my way, I'd love to help where I can.

Jai
www.themixstudio.com