Anyone seen "Nu Wool" before? Interesting

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

corleyd

Anyone seen "Nu Wool" before? Interesting

Post by corleyd »

I saw this in a local magazine. Looks functional. I will let you know about cost.

Anyone know abou it?

http://www.nuwool.com/products/cellulos ... lseal.html
http://www.nuwool.com/products/technica ... tings.html

Dennis
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

I've seen other specs on sprayed in cellulose - they also claimed similar performance. Haven't used it, but it sounds like a good plan depending on the cost and "messiness quotient"... Steve
Jester

hmm

Post by Jester »

How is this stuff applied? Is it something you can do you self? Didn't see and installation instructions on the website.
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Some places will rent you the equipment to do it, others want to do it themselves - it's basically a kind of "chopper gun" approach, similar to some (less expensive) methods of fiberglassing - I'm not familiar with the methods of doing it before both wall sheaths are up - the retrofit way is that they cut holes in either the inside or outside sheath and blow the stuff into the cavities. Then they (or you) patch the holes.

Beyond that, I've no experience with it - you might try Googling on cellulose insulation, or blown-in insulation, something like that... Steve
Eric_Desart

Post by Eric_Desart »

If interested,

I find this blow in insulation a dirty business.

While for thermal insulation blow-in systems can guarantee a perfect filling with complicated structures, for acoustics it doesn't matter that much.

Thermally: the wool is insulation and the wall panels mainly mechanical protection. Leaks in the walls don't matter that much in the wool it does.

Acoustically: The wall panels are the insulation and the wool is absorption. Leaks in the panels DO matter, in the wool hardly.

So if not needed for whatever reason, and blankets or wool slabs/boards are easier to work with, there is little reason to choose for blow-in wool.

Best regard
Eric
corleyd

Post by corleyd »

Eric,
In my case, the wool batts were non-backed (from the local supplier). Therefore, they were a hassle and time consuming to deal with.

The Nu Wool distributor came in yesterday and in 2 hours my entire room was insulated with 3 lb/cf insulation. Yes, it cost me $600 more than doing it myself. But, for me, it was well worth it.

Dennis
Eric_Desart

Post by Eric_Desart »

Hello Dennis

As I said, there can be other reasons to choose for blow-in solutions.

The main part is that you feel good with the solution you choose for.
So I can only wish you succes with the further progress of the job.
:P
Warm regards
Eric