Keeping the sound from getting OUT

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

TOR

Keeping the sound from getting OUT

Post by TOR »

Hi all!

I have a problem - I run a small studio from 2 rooms in my house (CR and ISO) but live with other people that don't appreciate hearing a song played over and over 100+ times a day / or vocalists letting rip just a few rooms away

The rooms are down a hallway on a wing of the house, with the hallway going round a corner into the main living area; it's a rented house - so i can;t do anything to permantly damage it ;)

I'm just wondering if there is anything i can do to the DOORS of these 2 rooms to help keep the sound from escaping so much (that won't eat up the bond money when we move out) also of relevant note is that i am (at this point) utterly useless when it comes to construction / etc (like i know what a hammer is and a phillips head screwdriver; but that is IT!)

any help eternally appreciated! help me persue my dream!!

~T
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

That's a tough one TOR as the sound will be transmitted through the whole house frame, not just the doors so even if you did seal them off I doubt it would make all that much difference.

cheers
john