Floor Detail

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

Fieryjack

Floor Detail

Post by Fieryjack »

Steve:

Here is a detail of the proposed separation of the control room (right side) and studio (left side). I have a couple questions:

1) What is the space between the 2 sliding glass doors filled with....can I build a platform or step plate?

2) On the studio (left) side, how does the wall attach to the floor?

3) Do I need any more layers of plywood on either side? Please help me to see if anything's missing.

Thanks!!

Jeff
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

1. - See my markup of your drawing.

2. - To an existing wood floor, just a layer of Sill seal and nails. Caulk the seam between sill plate and floor immediately before adding the first layer of wallboard, whereever wallboard is being applied.

To a concrete floor, use a masonry bit (sized according to fastener) and drill holes for concrete "lag shields" - bore holes through framing wall plate to line up with holes in concrete, insert lead lag shields in holes in concrete (gently tap them in if they aren't flush) put washers on lag bolts, insert bolts thru framing wall plate and tighten. Be sure to use a layer of Sill seal (pink poly stuff) between concrete and sill plate. Sill plates need to be Pressure Treated when near concrete. When buying lag bolts and lag shields, make sure you get the right length bolts so that they will pull down the 2x4 snug before the bolt bottoms out in the hole. If the bolt won't quite "snug up", you can just add a couple washers on top of the wood and try again.

3. - Your floor layers are fine - just make sure you double the joists under your sliders, and get the double U-boats from Auralex for ALL perimeter framing - your walls will add quite a bit of weight so this is necessary to compensate... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...