Moveable walls / partitions

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

dnafe

Moveable walls / partitions

Post by dnafe »

Hi all

Newbie here with what possibly could be the dumbest question I've ever asked.

I tinking of designing a space 17'X13.5'X9' which I would like to (on ocassion) split in half for the odd loud tracking session.

This would require building a sectioned sliding wall.

Has anyone had experience with this or is it even feasible?

Thanks in advance.

Don :?:
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Don, it's feasible if you're rich - problem is, the minute you make anything but a fixed, windowless, double leafed wall you start ruining it for sound proofing. Seals are a bitch, glass costs isolation, openable doors are bad enough. Moving an entire wall? Then SEALING it again? Like I said, doable, but I hope Bill Gates is your best drinking buddy... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
dnafe

Post by dnafe »

Kinda what I thought...any suggestions for major isolation without dedicating a room to it...ie: drum booth

Don
rod gervais

Post by rod gervais »

Actually there are companies out there who manufacture exactly what you're looking for.

Movable partitions......... and you can get ratings up to 54 STC....... not really studio quality - but not 1/2 shabby if you think about what's involved with this.......

Rod

I'll stop back tomorrow and give you some names if you're interested.....
Ignore the man behind the curtain........
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Can't help noticing you didn't mention price, Rod. Not cheap, right? :? Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
VSpaceBoy

Post by VSpaceBoy »

I read somewhere else of someone getting and using one of these..

http://www.whisperroom.com/hompage.html

He said it worked great. Prices are high though.. 2k up to 18k!!

Ron
JoeMilner

Post by JoeMilner »

Obviously it wouln't be cheap, but I'd often thought of a similar thing. Splitting a wall in half, and then making them like VERY big doors, hinged at the side walls, and if we continue the door comparison, using some sort of cam-lift hinge to lower the "doors" onto a door seal at the bottom, and something similar at the top. Now, DUHHHH, this is just "outside the box", not practical thinking, and it certainly wouldn't be cheap, or simple,but there are industrial (double) doors that are much wider than the 13-foot width of dnafe's studio, so maybe this topic needs to be explored? I know I'd be interested. Knightfly?
Joe Milner
Puget Sound, Inc.
Los Angeles, CA
dnafe

Post by dnafe »

Hi all

Actually I have several good ideas for moveable walls ranging from sliding windows / walls to walls on wheels etc.

Unfortunately the project is a no go as there are several issues with my present location that would have to be addressed before construction could begin and one of them in particular cannot be dealt with in a realist (read cost effective) manner...looks like I'll be looking for some commercial space

Thanks again

Don
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Don, sorry about your bad news on "reality check - nope, no reality here..." I hope you find something that will work for you -

Joe, I work in an industrial environment so I'm aware of much bigger scales than "normal" people are used to - still, a cam lift hinge big enough for an 8' wide door wouldn't be cheap by anybody's standards...

I was at one time considering a sound-rated sliding door for my barn when I was till dumb enough to think I could get what I wanted in that area, and that concept might work - unfortunately, it required a "lip" all around to seal to, then I modified it so it would work on a flat concrete floor with only 3 sides "lipped", then I scrapped it and started working on a plan for a free-standing 2400 sf building, yada yada... Problem with my design is it takes a place to slide the door/wall to when you don't want it in the way... Steve