Soffit, again...

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

moby

Soffit, again...

Post by moby »

Ok, here's my first construction problem... I planned to soffit my Tannoy AMS8's, but they are bit deeper and if i move them on the deepest part of soffit i will loose 30 degrees angle. Can i go with solution on the left side of pic. or can i go with 40 degrees angle :?:
Another question, is it possible to use down part of soffit as sub-woofer box (something like i drawn), that idea came to my mind when i decided to go with concrete stand for tannoy's and brick wall on the rear. Looks nice like nonparallel box with, i think enough volume for some 15 inch driver.
sharward

Post by sharward »

8) Gorgeous illustration! 8)
moby

Post by moby »

I'm doing my best, thanks. And thanks to John, Sketchup kills! :D
moby

Post by moby »

:cry: A polite bump :roll: Barefoot :!: Are you around :?:
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

I doubt Barefoot's "afoot", so to speak; he's been pretty much buried with his new speaker company for the past year or so;

You can actually set up your speakers in a 90 degree (45 degree baffles) configuration, although the wider you go away from an equilateral triangle the more chance of losing a tight center image;

One thing that might help, is to mount the Tannoy's vertical with the ports UNDER the drivers; in a soffit, you may end up plugging one or both ports anyway (one of Tannoy's ways of changing bass boost for proximity to walls) - however, if you plug just ONE port, watch for "port chuff" at higher levels due to increased velocity of air thru the port. Might be better to use a shelving filter to cut bass a bit instead.

Soffits - as I understand it, you need a minimum flat surface for at least 3 or 4 woofer diameters in ALL directions from the center of the woofer; preferably NOT exactly the same in all directions, just in case the edges of the extended baffle cause any diffraction - dissimilar dimensions would ensure that those artifacts are at different frequencies, so they should "blend" better, so to speak.

Mounting a sub in the wall makes me a bit nervous, unless you can figure a way to optimise the location BEFORE you commit; I need a lot more "cockpit time" on this one. There are some good "white papers" here, check out the bottom four on this page -

http://www.harman.com/wp/index.jsp?articleId=default

HTH... Steve
moby

Post by moby »

You can actually set up your speakers in a 90 degree (45 degree baffles) configuration, although the wider you go away from an equilateral triangle the more chance of losing a tight centre image;
Yes, that can be my second option :roll:
Soffits - as I understand it, you need a minimum flat surface for at least 3 or 4 woofer diameters in ALL directions from the centre of the woofer
Huh, I'm not sure that i understand what to do, but sounds like my drawing idea is not "perfect". I know that speaker don't have to be in the middle of soffit, and if i go with 8 inch bass, soffit surface have to be minimum 24 or 32 inch around speaker. Is that what you are talking.
And about woofer, i must admit that idea about them makes me nervous too, so i will forget about it 8)
Thanks, Sergio
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Yeah, you have the right idea about distance around the woofer; and check out those white papers I linked for more on subs... Steve