How many leafs in ceiling - considering hvac?

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

knightfly

Post by knightfly »

The only thing to watch when using flex duct is that it doesn't get flattened anywhere; this is where superduct works better, but it's more difficult to fab without the right tools and experience - just make sure the stuff is supported at turns in a way that keeps it from trying to flatten out, or you'll restrict air flow and raise the noise level due to air velocity increases.

More importantly, is that really EPS FOAM insulation I'm seeing in your walls? - please tell me those aren't going to be sound proof walls of any kind??!? Steve
rbarnes

walls/duct

Post by rbarnes »

Knightfly,

Thanks for your response. The walls are eps against the concrete outer wall serving as insulation/vapor barrier. Those concrete walls (2 of 4) compose part of the outer room, but not the room/in/room. That should be acceptable right?

Assuming nothing else jumped out to you I will proceed as planned on the ducting/ceiling insulation/sheetrock with 3 leafs. Thanks.

-Rob
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Yeah, if the EPS is against the concrete it won't act as another leaf... Steve