Problem - need advice. I know... its my own fault :-)

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

peegee

Problem - need advice. I know... its my own fault :-)

Post by peegee »

Hey folks.
When i framed up the outerwalls of my studio in the basedment, it was somewhat before i found this forum, and as such i thought not having an outer layer on the wall was going to be ok, because right behind it was the rock and brick of our basement foundation.
Now i beleive that to be in error, and wonder if anyone has any good suggestions as to get a layer back there considering the the joists and stringers are in the way.
there is a diagram attached (i added the drywall to the diagram, although it is not up yet). - ...or could i just fill up the air/gap with rockwool and not worry about an outside layer?
Thanks...
Aussie living in Boston
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Sounds like you actually got LUCKY - best isolation is gotten by using a mass-air-mass barrier. If you had added wallboard to the other side of the frame, you'd have a mass-air-mass-air-mass system, which sucks for low frequency isolation (the hardest to accomplish)

Check out the REFERENCE section here in the Construction forum, the top 2 or 3 links will give you about all you need... Steve
peegee

Post by peegee »

Thanks so much for the info - you made my day :-)

So if i make a donation to the forum, are you seeing any of that, or is it that only some part of the operating costs are achieved with donations?

Yourself and John have been extremely helpful in the few replys i have needed here, and i would like to see that what little i can donate will add to the lining of your pockets :-)

Thanks again Steve and John!

Cheers
Last edited by peegee on Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aussie living in Boston
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Donations go first to operating costs, with any extra (yeah, right) split among the mods (there are four total) - without operating costs, there IS no site so this is vital.

John and I also do design/consulting separately, PM either of us for details... Steve