simple window glass question

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

Les Ismore

simple window glass question

Post by Les Ismore »

Hi all.
I was wondering about weather I should just use one pane of glass in my new (floating 2 x 5/8" gyp on wood studs) room within a room wall.
There is an existing window (2 seperate ones actually) in the original outside wall of my house. One of these is double glazed 1/8" (sealed) and the other is single 1/8" that opens.
I was originaly thinking of putting 2 layers in the new inner wall, but this would form an triple leaf system right? So should I just use the one layer with maximum spacing? (I can afford about 9" on the one and about 12" on the other)
Also I noticed in some threads here that 1/4" laminated glass is equal to 1/2" regular glass in TL. Would one layer of 1/4" laminated glass be sufficient in my application here? I was hoping to keep the TL of the windows close to the TL of my walls.
1/4" laminated would be nice because it is readily available here without having to special order it from the factory, and is also fairly affordable.
Would this work?
Thanks in advance for you replies, Les
Les Ismore

Post by Les Ismore »

I know you all are very busy and my question is probably not terribly interesting, but if there is a chance someone could let me know if I am on the right track with the window glass, I'd really appreciate it as I have to start building them in a couple of days and I don't want to make any more serious mistakes.
Thanks very much, Les
rod gervais

Post by rod gervais »

Les,

I apologize -

You are headed on the right track - but are not quite there yet.

Standard 1/8" glazing is pretty much useless in this respect -

you don't mention the size of your window - but if you use 1/4" lami in one wall - and 3/8" lami in the other - you should be fine.

This is unless your window is fairly large - and then I would have to rethink this.

You do not want 2 panes of glazing that are the same thickness as each other.

Rod
Ignore the man behind the curtain........
Les Ismore

Post by Les Ismore »

Thanks for your reply Rod. Actually one of my best friends is a Gervais. Probably a long lost cousin somewhere in the mists of time.
To clarify, the previously exsisting outside wall has 2 windows still in it. One is 3' x 3' 1/8" double glazed and the other is 2' x 3' 1/8" single glazed opening. I realize that both of these are relatively useless and should be replaced (I was thinking of putting it off til later though after I see what kind of performance I get from the inside wall and window.
The new inside wall has the same window spaces cut out and I am about to build the windows for them. I had read here that 1/4" laminate has the same TL properties as 1/2" regular glass, so being that 1/2" is more than 1/3rd the thickness of the 2 layers of 5/8" drywall, I was thinking that this would match my new inside wall's TL properties. Am I correct on this?
The outside older walls I think I will replace (later) with 1/2" glass which I am guessing would have a different resonance being 2x as thick as the 1/4" laminate, but with equal TL properties.
Also, I should stay with one layer on the inside wall, not 2 right? And then the other layer in the outside wall, thereby keeping it a 2 leaf system right?
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

I think you've got it pretty much; I'm not sure who told you that laminated glass was twice as good - it's better at higher frequencies by a few dB, but mass is the ticket at lower frequencies. Unless you need it for safety reasons or you find a good price, I'd go with thicker float plate.

To stick with 2-leaf construction, this means mass, air, mass between you and whatevery you;re trying to isolate. If you have an insulated (thermopane) window, you're DONE. IF you add another leaf to that, it will be 3-leaf and will have (possibly) better TL at mid/high frequencies, but will have (DEFINITELY) WORSE TL at lower frequencies. For music, if you build for the lows the highs will take care of themselves 99.9% of the time.

1/3 thickness of glass (relative to the gypsum in that leaf) is MINIMUM for maintaining consistent TL of the assembly; more is better, but too much more and you're wasting money. Air gap is your friend, increasing that can help even 1/8" glass do a (semi) acceptable job, but it takes at least a foot.

Hope this helps... Steve
Les Ismore

Post by Les Ismore »

thanks Steve.
Do you mean that a foot is nessecary for 1/8" glass or for the thicker say 1/2" glass?
I think I am going to go with the 1/2" on the inside and then possibly 3/8" on the outside.
On one window I have about a foot of space, but the other one I only have about 8 inches.
We are starting to build them tomorrow at 10AM PST (Tuesday Dec 14)
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Actually both; it depends on what your walls are like whether the glass will be able to "keep up" or not. With identical air space, keeping glass thickness to a minimum of 1/3 of the gypsum thickness (40% to 50% is better) will keep the wall performance within a few dB of the window performance.

What I meant was, if you ONLY have 1/8" glass, you can compensate somewhat by widening the air space.

Case in point - 3/8 and 1/2" glass, 4" apart - roughly STC 46, with approx. 33 dB @ 63 hZ - 1/8" and 3/16" glass, same spacing - STC 45 ??!?, but with only 18 dB @ 63 hZ...

Now, widen the air gap from 4" to 8", still the thinner glass; you get about STC 48, with TL of 23 dB @ 63 hZ - widen the gap again to 12", and you end up with about STC 50 and a TL of about 26 dB @ 50 and 63 hZ. Everything in THIS paragraph is using 1/8 and 3/16 glass.

Keep the 12" air gap and make your panes 3/8 and 1/2", and you end up with about STC 50 (still??!?) but your low end TL raises to around 40 dB @ 50 hZ - This last example might sound a bit strange, because the TL isn't different enough from low to high frequency to sound "balanced" - that is, if the TL of a barrier doesn't block sound with a smooth rise in TL as frequency increases, you get some sounds that sound louder than other frequencies and it doesn't sound "natural" - because of this, the wall actually sounds like it's not doing its job as well as a flimsier wall might - assuming that the flimsy wall had a more even rise in TL as frequency rises.

Hope that helped more than it confused; I probably should have left that last part off to avoid confusion, especially since you're probably already at it... Steve
Les Ismore

Post by Les Ismore »

really great points. thanks a lot for that Steve.

Actually were starting tomorrow morning, Tues, Dec 14. I notice that the clock on this site is a day and a half ahead, so that's a bit confusing.

one thing I don't understand is your statement about the double glazed pane that's in the one window now (I will be replacing it).
I don't understand why if it's double glazed with a 1/2" airspace between the 2 glazes that that would make much difference than a single pane of 1/8". You're saying that it's way worse.
I understand that if it was narrowing the airspace appreciably say, several inches in or something. But I don't quite get it why a simple standard double glazed window like that would be so much worse than a single pane of 1/8".

I will keep the maximum airspace between the two windows and use 1/2" and 3/8". Thanks so much for the great explanations.
bert Stoltenborg

Post by bert Stoltenborg »

Are there measurements on these kinds of constructions?
A thermopane like and a normal glase pane with large airgap compared to 2 normal panes with the same mass?

Bert
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Hi Bert, welcome - actually, 99% of what I know about glass I learned from Eric, so take it for what it's worth - here is a 3-part comparison using Insul demo (I know Eric hates this, but it's all I've had time to digest - still looking for enough time to digest all Eric's spreadsheets, etc)

First example is two 1/8" panes like thermopane, second is a single 1/2" glass ( I "cheat" insul by setting properties to 2100 kg/cu meter instead of 690) and the third is 3/8 and 1/2 glass set 8" apart - beyond this, I have no test data whatever - it's all "smoke and mirrors", but seems to follow the "2-leaf " rule pretty well.

Note the m-a-m resonance in the first example; this will be a weak area, and is right at the shell resonance for typical kick drum - not good.

Gotta run but will get back to this hopefully later tonite... Steve
bert Stoltenborg

Steve,

It would be sweet when this INSUL software could be modified to accept particular weightings, fe for a standard spectrum popmusic or discomusic.
I am fully behind you concerning triple leafing (or eric would step over the border to kill me :D ), only wondering if a thermopane leaf with a few mm gap in a large gap system is devastating for the overall behaviour.
We had this discussion on the other group, and sometimes it isn't to bad. I know some constructions used by professional insuation companies are triple leaf and they have worse low freq behaviour compared to double leaf, but still are overall superior for popmusic because the dips are so low frequent and the higher freq behaviour is superior.
I'm asking because sometimes it is convinient to advise a person to keep the termopane and put another window in front on a large airgap in stead of also having to replace the thermopane.

regards,

Bert
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Bert, I agree with that pretty much; as to keeping the thermopane and using a third leaf of heavy glass with large air gap, of course this can be done - it WILL reduce the LF TL at least a few dB (I have no way of calculating this, being completely self-taught with obvious gaps in the process) - my thought is, if you MUST do this, make the extra glass even heavier than you would and the new air gap as WIDE as you can to help overcome the weakening effect of the triple leaf.

As you can see from the Insul predictions (which can't do triple leaf no matter HOW I cheat ) the thermopane is going to have a m-a-m weakness in the low mids, which will be passed on even when adding the new pane - I'm not saying that this setup couldn't work, I'm only saying that it is not optimum for the space (total thickness) available, and that for music we should design for best LF because it's the most difficult; then, the mids and highs will basically take care of themselves.

This is admittedly a simplistic way of looking at it - for people who would rather argue fine points on alt.sci.acoustics for months instead of making and recording music, I'm a heretic for sure; for people who would rather be making music, probably not - I guided a young man with a metal band in Austin, completely thru building and treating a 20 x 24 foot free-standing building (on concrete pier blocks) for his band to practice/record in - all standard materials, spent several page thread keeping him from making serious mistakes, in a few months he posted and said he'd finished the door(s) and could not hear his double bass kitted drummer from 10 feet away from the door - After the first 3-4 posts, the entire thread was just him and me and thousands of lurkers.

I figure from that (and several others since) that I must be doing things at least half-assed OK, but I'm still studying all I can...

BTW, Insul (the demo) is quite old and the FULL version, which costs around $1000 or so, is several versions newer and much more complete - I have the files already downloaded, but haven't had time to email Keith at Marshall-Day for the "key" - he's willing to give me a month of active use instead of the usual week or so, once I find time to evaluate it. I asked if they intend to make a "personal" version of the new one, and he didn't think so (the older one like the demo, you could get either a "personal" or a "full" version, for either $200 or $1000 (roughly))

If/when I get to that point, I'll post some kind of "mini-review" - I've not given up on talking them into a "light" version for shallower pockets... Steve
bert Stoltenborg

Thanks, Steve.

I like the simple/effective approach just like you, that's why I was asking.
(I'm just a stupid guitar player/loudspreaker guy, not a professor on doppler distortion/name calling from the science group, although over there are a lot of good guys too :lol: )

Bert
Les Ismore

Post by Les Ismore »

very interesting post Steve, Rod and Bert. thanks so much for your input. I'll let you know how it goes.
Les
SonicClang

Post by SonicClang »

This is a very interesting conversation. When I get home I'm going to read through it all. I need to bone up on my glass / window knowledge. I'm getting very close to finally putting the glass up in my studio and I've been wondering for a couple years if I'm heading in the right direction. I think I'll be fine. I was thinking about getting 1/4" and 3/8" for the two panes. Unless that would be insanely inpractical. The size of my control room window is roughly 3x6 feet. I know there's a nice way to calculate the weight of the glass, but I don't have it at my fingertips. The air gap between the two panes of glass is almost 2 feet!!! :D that's where I'm thanking myself for buidling the control room window around the support beam for my house. That gave me the width I needed and hid the beam all in one shot.

If anyone sees anything stupid in anything I just said please let me know.