Upgrading Windows for Drum Room - photos attached

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

JohnGardner

Upgrading Windows for Drum Room - photos attached

Post by JohnGardner »

Hi there,

I have two of these windows in my drum live room.

Any ideas on how to upgrade them to provide adequate sound isolation from the outside world?

photos show inside and outside veiw of one of them - they are both the same

Please note - It is not an option to take them out.

Thanks agian

JohnG
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Is the left half (looking from inside out) partly operable, as it looks? If so, do you need it to STAY operable?

Budget - still very tight?

Rest of the wall constructed as in your other posts, or is this a different project? Steve
JohnGardner

Post by JohnGardner »

Hi Steve,

Thanks for replying.

I had a bit of a rush of blood regarding my wall design but have decided to go back to the original plan which is the inside out wall design.

This wall will be built on a floated floor just infront of the window (slightly out from the window ledge that you can see sticking out from the bottom of the window).

I don't want to use the window anymore (wan't be able to get at it anyway) and will caulk all the seems and gaps.

I was hoping to seal it behind the blind you can see at the top of the window so that from the outside it looks like a normal window with the blind down - keeping Mum in her garden happy!!

I was thinking perhaps a cut to size peice of 5/8' MDF or particle board screwed to the window frame on the inside and well sealed. This plus the new wall slightly out from this would give me a nice two layer mass-air-mass construction. I will also seal all around the window frame where it mests the wall, inside and out.

What do you think?

JohnG
motown59

Post by motown59 »

Seems like that would be 3 leaves; glass, MDF and another wall. maybe find a way to keep some insulation just behind the blinds(if you want to keep them) without making a hard panel, and fill in towards the new wall?
I just got through figuring out a similar situation. I ended up painting the inside of the glass with a color that looked like a roman blind from the outside. Then I glued a fitted panel of celotex to the glass(still one leaf) for damping effect, and that gave me the dimension so I could screw on a panel of OSB to the inside wood frame, squeezing the celotex. MDF would probably work better. It took a while and some care not to botch up the painted glass but it looks great from the outside, especially from 20' or more(like my van!). anyhow, good luck
jump, and the net will appear...