To float or not to float?

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

JohnGardner

To float or not to float?

Post by JohnGardner »

I am really in two minds about floating my floor or just building a drum riser.

My existing floor is one layer of 20mm particleboard flooring on 50x150mm joists raised about 1foot from the gound on posts/piles. I cannot get under the house at all.

The existing floor is really boomy to walk/jump up and down on due to the airgap below.

I was thinking if I put a new floor down with rubber pads, 2x4on there side, another layer of 20mm flooring with rockwool in the cavites the results will still be pretty boomy and the isolation only slightly better.

Maybe if I just build a drum riser for my kit at one end of the room it will save me heaps of money and the isolation will still be about the same.

What do you all think?

JohnG
JohnGardner

Post by JohnGardner »

As a further note what I am trying to do is save some money on flooring.

I was also thinking about a "try as you go method".

Build the walls on the existing floor and then if the isolation is no good then build a new floor or drum riser.

JohnG
Aaronw

Post by Aaronw »

How is the current construction w/ the walls.
I was also thinking about a "try as you go method".
This can get very expensive quickly, if you have to do it over.

Why is there not a way to get under your house? I don't know how the construction methods are in New Zieland, but that sounds odd. Is there a way to make access to under the house? This will help if you can do so. You can reinforce the floor.

:D
JohnGardner

Post by JohnGardner »

Hi there,
current walls are 2x4 studs with weatherboard on the outside and 10mm plasterboard on the inside.
I am going to build John's inside out wall inside this room however I am worried about the floor. I have had a builder check it out and he say's it is easily stable enough to hold a room inside a room but I just can't decide what to do with the floor. The building is a detached office and has no man hole under the floor - tht gap to the ground is only about 1foot anyway!!.
I am trying to save headroom and money by just putting the walls down onto the existing floor (on neopreane) but am worried about isolation and boom due to the original floors construction.
Thanks
JohnG
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

John, please see your other thread on walls - I'm thinking you should try to save some more $$$ or else not do this; I'd hate to see you spend hard money on something that will leave you dissatisfied and your neighbors unhappy as well... Steve