Noisy Heat/Steam Pipes

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

ajcamlet

Noisy Heat/Steam Pipes

Post by ajcamlet »

My studio is in a commercial building. the heat/steam pipes run along the ceiling for the entire floor and serve more than my space. Is there any known method for reducing the sound of the clanking when the heat is on? some type of insulation jacket maybe?
Aaronw

Post by Aaronw »

Maybe something like this: http://www.roxul.com/sw42877.asp

Click the pipe insulation...
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

IS it possible you could record the noise and post a graph of the spectrum? Also, possibly a pic or two? Steve
rod gervais

Post by rod gervais »

The noise is being caused by expansion/contraction of the pipes.

My 1st guess would be that you do not have proper expansion loops installed in the system

if you picture a straight run of pipe - an expansion loop would create something like this - (gonna paint a picture)

pipe runs straight - pipe suddenly turns right and runs for 2' - then back to the original direction for 2' - then suddenly left for 2' - and then again back in the same original direction -

Shucks, that cost em 6' of pipe and 4 ells when they could have done the whole thing with just 2' of pipe......... why'd they go and do that?

2nd best guess - pipe does not pitch to drain in it's entirety - This will cause uneven heating /cooling of the pipe -

Rod
Ignore the man behind the curtain........