Ceramic tile for control room floor?

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

dmorrre

Ceramic tile for control room floor?

Post by dmorrre »

Would 12" ceramic tile be a reasonable substitute for hardwood or Pergo in a basement control room? I recently moved my studio from a ground level space to a finished basement space with a carpet over concrete slab floor that got wet after an unusually heavy rain. We removed the carpet and I want to replace it with an acoustically appropriate material that will ignore any moisture. I would rather not have to float a floor if at all possible because neighbors are not a problem and I have reasonable isolation between the control room and the tracking space. I am just wondering if ceramic tile would be too "live" for a control room or if I could tame it down with rugs as needed. Thank you, and I am so happy to have found this forum!
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Ceramic tile would be fine; as you mentioned, if it's too bright you can tame it with area rugs. It's always nice to keep options open; I'd go with the tile... Steve
dmorrre

Post by dmorrre »

Thanks Steve, you ROCK!