Will leaky exterior wall be 3rd leaf???

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

3/4 Plate Productions

Will leaky exterior wall be 3rd leaf???

Post by 3/4 Plate Productions »

What's up oh people of wisdom. Got a 3 leaf/garage studio question.

IF the exterior covering of the garage (wood sid.) is not hermetically sealed will it cause the "3 leaf effect" if I built something like this?:

Wood siding/2x4 studs/insulation/double drywall - space- 2x4 studs/insulation/double drywall

Surely more questions to come.. :D
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Yes it will; but, if you don't have the option of sealing and reinforcing the mass of that outer wall, then about all you can do is go heavier on your two inner leaves in order to compensate some for that extra leaf.... Steve
3/4 Plate Productions

Post by 3/4 Plate Productions »

Thanx for the info. Sorry I didn't get back to you quicker. How much more should I build up the inside to make up for the loss with the extra leaf? Drywall sure is cheaper that MDF or OSB..

Peace,
Marshel
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

I'd make sure your inner studwall is isolated from structure, then put at least 3, preferably 4 layers of drywall on the inside. Ceiling will need to match this, so maybe only 3 layers since 4 gets kind of heavy on a ceiling leaf.

doing this will also stiffen the inner leaf, so you'll likely need more bass trapping to even out the room response... Steve