Soundproofing question

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

rod gervais

Post by rod gervais »

Could you give me a sketch showing exactly the clearance you have for the HVAC unit?

I can't get a clear picture from the description.

By the way - I am very busy now - haven't been around a lot - if anyone needs me they can always email me at

rgervais10@hotmail.com

I check my email their at least once a day.

Rod
Ignore the man behind the curtain........
gdgross

Post by gdgross »

Thanks, Rod. Here is the sketch. It's pretty tight up there, there is only 16.5" of clearance between the roof center beam and the top of the ceiling, so whatever I go with has got to be small. That's okay, though, the room is only 140 sq. feet, and it'll only be used for this room.

I don't think I will need any heating at all, only a/c. The room gets cold enough about twice a year for me to want to turn the space heater on right now, and I figure with all the insulation and sounproofing I'm adding, the computer/amps/equipment/etc ought to be enough to keep it warm. Humidity control would be nice, too, but not totally necessary.

I'll email this to you as well, but I'm posting here for the benefit of anyone else who want to look at it.

Thanks again.
Geoff
rod gervais

Post by rod gervais »

Geoff,

Just got to Home Despot - or your local appliance store......... you can handle a space that small with about 5,000 to 5,500 watts of cooling.

That's about the smallest thru the wall AC Unit made - and in that size they make plenty WITHOUT the remote controls. They run from 75 to 100 dollars (US).

That way you can set it up - a transfer grille with a small fan for the return (this needs to go right to the unit - but it's only a booster fan so the unit doesn't work too hard) - and let gravity handle the rest - and because of no remote - you can wire it into a switch downstairs to turn on and off.

Just make certain that you insulate the rafters above the ceiling good - and that you have a real good vapor barrier up there........

Rod
Ignore the man behind the curtain........
gdgross

Post by gdgross »

Thanks, Rod. I will take a look at Home Depot when I get to that stage (hopefully this fall...)
Geoff