Sliding glass door redux

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

Aaberg

Sliding glass door redux

Post by Aaberg »

Just want to check this out before I spend a bunch of money to small effect. Most studios using sliding glass doors have 2 sets installed with a slight angle. I've gone through as many posts on the subject as I can find, and two of the posts say that little sound reduction is gained by using a second set. Does anyone have a definitive answer?
Thanks.
giles117

Post by giles117 »

That same thread shows some real world responses verses just doing the numbers. Re-read the thread.

There are 2 people who mentioned they used sliding glass doors and were pleased with the isolation (TL)

I used plain old LOWES steel entry doors with the glass windows in them and was pleased as well.
Bryan Giles

FOH Live, Live Remote & Studio Engineer
Producer

Just living life and having fun with all this talent YHWH Elohim has given me.
fbars

Post by fbars »

Hi Aaberg,

I built my studio using two sliding glass doors. The doors were purchased from Lowe's. Closing one door kills a a large portion of the sound level, closing the second door virtually kills all the level. I am very pleased with how they work!

The doors are angled, and there really isn't any physical connection between them. The walls and ceilings are seperated between the control room and tracking room. When building the studio I posted the question here on the forum. Michael Jones was replied and was kind enough to share how he installed his "doors", if memory serves me correctly I believe he worked with John Sayers on this.

Try a search on this, I would try to explain how, but I not very good at it, I'm afraid I'd leave out something important. Michael's answer was VERY GOOD! I believe my doors would not have worked so well without Michael's and John's advice!

Good luck,
Tom Durso
First Bass Audio
Aaberg

Sliding glass door redux

Post by Aaberg »

Not sure what's going on with this thread. I've posted replies 5 times and none of them have gotten through. No problems with any of the other ones. hmmmmm
In any case, thanks for the advice, fellas. I've been looking for a drawing of a 2-sliding door installation...it was great. Can't find it again. Anybody remember it?
fbars

Post by fbars »

Aaberg,

I believe the thread was "The best way to install Sliding glass doors".
I'm not sure if there were any diagrams. Look for the post from Michael Jones. Should be helpfull.

Good luck,
Tom Durso
Aaronw

Post by Aaronw »

Aaberg

Sliding glass door redux

Post by Aaberg »

Thanks guys. That's very helpful. I could have sworn I saw a drawing of that plan.