failed and very disappointed.....

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

isolation

failed and very disappointed.....

Post by isolation »

hey steve need your help man. I have constructed my windows amd doors as per info below:

1. Windows with different glass thickness (say 10mm+6mm) which is horizontaly and vertically angled, the cavity between glass is treated with insulation.

2. Doors are 38", with double glass (say 4mm + 6mm) for proper vision. Rubber strip around the door.

I am still having problem related to leakage the sound is entering in the room, i dont know why. The walls and ceiling are well insulated.

Please Help me

Anne
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Can you post a drawing with as much detail as you can think of? Remember, it's the little details that make or break the design.

For example, you mentioned nothing about where/how/what you used for caulking, whether the door is a single one or double with sound lock, what kind of threshold seal you're using, if it's a pre-hung door did you do the door first and completely fill the threshold with putty as well as double caulk around where the shims go -

Also, that glass thickness seems awfully thin to me. For non-prehung doors and custom windows, I'd tend to go more along the lines of 9mm for the thinner, and 12mm or more for the thicker glass. Assuming you've done all the detail work, the glass and doors will be your weakest link.

One way to hunt down leaks is to get a piece of soft tubing, about 20-25mm in diameter and 2-3 feet long - seal one end as tightly to your ear as possible, plug the other ear with cotton or industrial hearing protectors, play a boom-box in one room and roam the other room while moving the other end of the soft tubing along all cracks, seams, windows, doors, etc, to see where the leakage is the loudest.

Always keep in mind, that if your construction wouldn't float without taking on water, it won't keep sound in or out either... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
isolation

drawing

Post by isolation »

dear steve

check this drawing to get the idea what i constructed so far...

love
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

OK, a number of things come to mind -

First, you appear to have (rightly) stayed with the concept of two mass leaves and only one air space (the inner insulation/cloth won't count as another air space since there's no paneling but only cloth)

Second, 12.5 mm drywall, especially only one layer, is pretty marginal for a wall, even with 8" concrete as the other layer. Is the concrete a solid wall, filled blocks, or un-filled blocks, and is there paint or plaster or anything over the concrete?

Third, even though you show the other two walls as the "leakage zone", I'm wondering if the door is adequate compared to the rest of the construction. I would have used higher density material there, plywood is kind of light. MDF or particleboard works better, and TOTAL hermetic seals are mandatory any way you can accomplish it. If the door does prove to be a problem, you could maybe add a layer of either sheet rock or MDF for more mass, depending on your hinges' strength - but usually, the seals are the biggest hurdle.

I suspect that the thin windows are going to be even more of a problem, so I wouldn't rush to add mass to the outer wall layer (I hope it's accessible though, so you CAN) until you find out whether I'm right. There's no point in spending time/money on the walls until you know the windows aren't the main problem (weakest link...)

Can you post another drawing showing the EXACT detail of what is physically connected to what in your window construction?

For example, the inner glass should be bedded in rubber and have no connection whatever to the outer wall or glass, the outer glass ditto - there should be some type of absorbent surrounding the space between glasses, that can "leak" sound into the insulation cavity for absorption. Everything should be caulked with high quality, non-hardening caulk, etc...

If you need a source for the hearing protectors I mentioned, you can get small quantities at some sporting goods stores (look in hunting accessories) - I buy mine in boxes of 200 pairs at a welding supply place for $32, since I do 'way too many noisy things to ever be without them.

What we need next is the detail drawing of the windows, and for you to try my suggestions on tracking down the source of the leaks... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
isolation

window details.....

Post by isolation »

Dear Steve,

Thanks for caring and writing such a great obeservations.... i have sketched a layout of my window construction. Please check it out.

Cheers
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

First of all, if your window frame is really one piece as shown, and not two separate frames, one for each half of the wall, then there are TWO reasons why your windows aren't working very well. Each frame needs to be isolated from the other, just as the walls should be.

However, here is the part that REALLY bothers me - the following is a post from "Sai", over on RO where I'm also one of the moderators -

"hello all ..... i am very disappointed today..... as i am having a leakage problem between control room and live room..... the rooms walls and ceilings are very much insulated ...... the windows are angled and the double glasses have a different thickness (6mm+10mm), the cavity between glasses are insulated. The Plywood doors are 36" and having a rubber strip around the frame.... the door also have double glasses of different thickness (6mm+4mm) ..... Please help me what i can check so i can solve the problem..... can i put some insulation over the doors and cover it with cloth and foam?" -

Does any of this sound familiar? I've been getting suspicious that several "newbies" on more than one BBS were one and the same person, now I'm SURE of it. Such as the names Anuwak, Sai, Newboy bie, Charoo, Listener, now Isolation, and there are probably even MORE - At this point, I'm not even sure which gender you are (not that it matters)

My point is this: Pick a screen name and STAY with it. Ask your questions and either ACCEPT or REJECT the answers, but do NOT take up our time with endless REPEATS of the same problem by pretending to be several different people.

If you're not going to believe us the FIRST time, you won't believe us the FIFTH time - the only difference is that you've just wasted time that could have been spent either on OTHERS' problems or on our OWN projects. John even went so far as to design your entire studio for you, and STILL you come back asking the same questions as MANY DIFFERENT PEOPLE !!!

The quickest way to make an enemy is to make them feel like a fool - CONGRATULATIONS, you've accomplished that. Now go away... Steve
isolation

answer

Post by isolation »

Dear Steve,

It seems that all indian identities belongs and centred to me only..... wow !
shows I am the only indian who is into learning and understanding of studio construction. Well i am agreed that i have multiple ID's like SAI in RO Forum but do you think I have done something wrong or I have exploit something and wrote bullshit and vulgar? I am very younger to you and others, my mental standard and level is not that mature and ripe that i can even stand somewhere in these portals. I am just in process of learning and understanding. Sorry to say but i dont consider anyone as a world, i just believe that if somebody is puting genuine efforst no matters its' technically or not, the end result will be the great success in true terms. I strongly believe in "KARMA" without bothering about results. I have just srtarted in this stream and with some blend of good and bad results, someday I will also stand at some point where I can help others too. I welcome all who wanna help me but I also dont mind walking alone. I am not going away.... I am here .... I 'll be here for ever.

love
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

Well Charoo - you've finally admitted to your deception, something I've hinted at previously in our correspondence. As Steve said – I’ve produced a design with drawings for you totally without charge because I too believe in Karma and I believe supporting street kids in Jaipur is a worthwhile cause deserving support as have Genelec, with two pairs of speakers and Tascam with a DM24 and associated digital recorders. Serious gear.

So far I have received 187 emails from you to which I have made 100 replies with 20 attached drawings. It has been exasperating considering you appear to have no ability to read or understand a simple drawing even when I’ve sent pictures showing the process. I’m not surprised that you have leakage problems because you appear to have no understanding of sound isolation despite all the replies you have been given under all the various nicknames you have chosen to use.

I have tried to give to you a plan and sequence for the building procedure but you have your own mind made up as to what you want and when you want it and despite my requests for confirmation, with pics if possible, of your work so far. I have still not received any idea of what exactly you are doing and whether you are doing it correctly.

I accept there is probably a major cultural difference between us, I’m not used to being told that a door cannot move because the astrologer has said it must stay, but I don’t know of any culture where deception is considered an ultimate ideal and therefore feel I’ve been deceived and ripped off.

Anyway – I’ve created my Karma and you yours.

Cheers
John
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

From now on, I'm going to refer to you as "CLIS-NAB", since those are the first letters of the various screen names I'm aware of - and once again, I'll say

My point is this: Pick a screen name and STAY with it. Ask your questions and either ACCEPT or REJECT the answers, but do NOT take up our time with endless REPEATS of the same problem by pretending to be several different people.

The only thing you accomplish by the Chameleon act is to waste everybody's time and make us not want to help you at all. If you want to become more mature, then stop playing games. If you really believe in KARMA, think what you're adding to YOUR KARMA by irritating those who try to help you.

I'm not all that familiar with Indian customs, but if it's your custom to continue doing something after it has been made clear that it's unwelcome, then you WILL reap what you sow.

It's up to you - settle on ONE name and actually PAY ATTENTION to the answers to your questions, or be prepared to NOT recieve answers at our discretion. Your choice, but before you make that choice ask yourself how happy you would be if the situation was reversed... Steve
isolation

ton of thanks

Post by isolation »

Ton of endless Thanks to John and others. I dont want to say anything as i already aware of such circumstances and I really sorry for the same but there are millions of reason behind us. If you will go through my situation you will be very symphatic with me. Here are some reasons I want to share:

1. I am just a begginer in all terms whether it is related to a intenational relationship or lison with others. Due to our cultural difference sometimes I really become helpless and cant' immplement that is really ncecessary.

2. I am not the only authorised person in this venture, what I have done so far just sought the support form companies and generous people like you. There are lots' of people who are on top of me with their limitations of thoughts, they are really kind but some time they are not in conditon of compromising as they have lots' of outside pressures. Nutshell i have to face some disapointments and problems.

3. There is a great difference between our work culture and yours, you people are quiet moderate and born and brought up in best conditons. I personlly belongs to a remote place Rajatshan a desert where we just get sand nothing else.... our values and customs are really different but it not teach us to say lie and make anyone fool. You just tell me one thing a person who is just between the age of 23-25yrs, with lots' of pressure, time boundation, family pressure, society commitements and promises with others can be work and immplement things like you (John and Steve). You people are in the top of world and you maintain a standard in society, whatever you think of myself but i am always greatful for your advice and support, a very peronal thing but wanna share with you, i got lots' of sadbacks in my life and I use to spend each day like anything with lots' of failures and problems but I have a great trust on GOD and my parents infact I love them like anything, if i have found anything best in my life is this only opportunity to built a studio for a social mission, i cant even sleep properly for last 6months, having fever, pain in stomach, getting infaction, wiered court marashal towards my office and family but i never stops just because i have thought you people are behind me and gonna support me whenever i needed. What i have done wrong was just made some other nicks and logged back just because of maintaining a proper distance and not to show myself like a distructing buzzer which always bangs like anything. I was awared that you people are really bizi and occupied with serious projects.

4. I understand now that one has to clarify each and everything from very begining without any afraid. I was scared of John because i have killed a hell of time of him and still was not in position to immplement things accordingly.

If you want me to leave the portals frankly I will never as i will come again and again because now i am addicted to it but with a fixed identity and better way of understanding and learning. I never think that success is the only thing in life infact failures is the only stairs for reaching true success.

In last i want to give my all love and regards to you people and i am sure you definitely gonna feel the great effects soon that will advocates my loyality and genuine position. The GOD and the people whome i really trust will know my heart and intentions for sure and I pray to them that they somehow show same to you people also.

love
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

As long as you stop trying to confuse the issue with constant name changes, I have no problem with helping where I can. My anger stems mainly from having to spend the time to try and align my thoughts with a different situation every time you change names, when in reality it is the SAME situation. You seem to think it's OK to try and mis-lead us, and yet you would NOT want US to give you false information in return.

I know a lot of us in the western world have gotten spoiled by abundance and the availability of nearly anything we want, assuming we are willing to pay for it with either time or money or both - because of that situation, there are going to be times when my or John's advice can NOT work at all, because you can't even GET what we're telling you to use.

In those cases, your best approach is STILL honesty - If we don't know you can't get something, it will seem to us that you're not listening, when the reality may be that you could not get what we said to use, and substituted other materials that may have seemed OK but would not work the same way.

In your particular case, if you are willing to stop playing identity games and be honest with us as to what materials REALLY ARE available to you, it is possible that we can suggest some ways around the dearth of common materials.

One example of this would be exterior walls - some places can use the local dirt mixed with other material, and make bricks using a machine which is sometimes called a "rammed earth" machine. It basically just compresses the dirt, binding, and water into large bricks which can be used to make walls. These are sometimes used in the Southwest part of the US, where temperature extremes exist and the thick walls make a more even temperature inside the building.

As far as I'm concerned, you can go ahead and stay, but PLEASE stop the GAMES, pick ONE name and STICK with it, and maybe one of us can help you overcome some of the particular problems of your environment.

If, however, you CONTINUE to play games, my only defense is to IGNORE you and possibly to DELETE your posts. Don't make me go there, I guarantee you won't like it.

If, as you claim, you are really trying to help others improve their lives with this project, then I commend you for your humanity. Please keep in mind, however, that we can do a much better job of helping you reach your goals if we understand your problems and are not constantly trying to visualize a NEW situation when it's really the SAME situation.

I don't know how to put this any differently than I already have - I hope you understand my (and John's) frustrations, and will just be truthful enough so that we can understand what you need... Steve
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

Charoo - I feel the same as Steve. It's frustrating when I spend the time to try to expain a question you send me and go to great lengths to draw it it for you and I go to another site and you are asking the same question (I've already answered) under a different name - as if I don't know.

I know you've had a fever and it must be unbearable considering you live on the equator and your current temps are over well 100 degrees. I know your superiors are leaning over you and I've always produced a drawing on demand in such situations.

In your last email you said I am recovering now and most great thing is that the control room come up in such a nice shape i cant even imagined in my dreams...... it seems like a heaven for me constructed by you the "Solar Power" ......... so I assumed you were going along fine - next thing I find there is this new character isolation asking questions - why?? - why not contact me directly as before - you say you are scared of me??.............I can't harm you from 4000 miles away :):)

Just stay as charoo - I'll block the others.

cheers
john[/b]
charoo

its' true

Post by charoo »

"I can't harm you from 4000 miles away"

You are right but emotionally i am too guilty and cant even worked for last two days. I am not tha bad John but the situations were not favorable i can say. Ya i really scared of you as i respect you by heart.
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Charoo, one of the many things mentioned in the Bible that are sometimes difficult to do as a mere human, is "Judge not, lest ye be judged" - Personally, I've not "walked a mile in your shoes", as an old saying goes - in fact, without knowing your situation I don't even know if you OWN a pair of shoes. I don't consider anything like that to be part of a person, they are only THINGS. I've yet to see a THING that has a SOUL, or cries when you break it.

What I DO consider to be part of a person, is their INTEGRITY and HONESTY. As long as I feel I am being treated fairly and honestly, I will do what I can when someone asks me for help in an area I am ABLE to give it.

I'm not going to judge you, or anyone else, because they do or do NOT have a THING - However, I very likely WILL tend to judge if I feel like I'm being USED, DECEIVED, or outright LIED to.

John and I have never met personally, nor even talked on the phone as yet - we do, however, tend to be honest with each other - If that were not true, I wouldn't feel comfortable working with him and I suspect that the reverse is also true. He knows of my shortcomings (well, some of them) and, BECAUSE he knows of them it hasn't harmed our mutual respect for each other. If I had been deceiving him, I doubt very seriously whether he would have asked me to help on his site.

That being said, let's start over - First, you need to FORGET GUILT - guilt, fear, hate, envy, ALL these emotions only GET IN THE WAY of LEARNING. You have a lot to learn, and can only do so if you keep emotions out of the way (preferably locked in a room to which you've lost the key) - You need to FOCUS on the job at hand, which is finishing your studio project.

In order to help you do that, we need to know EXACTLY what you've already done, and HOW it was done, and what (if any) results you've had. Only then will we be able to advise you as to what is left to do, and how. If you have difficulty with ANY part of things, whether it be materials, concepts, or physically DOING things, we need to know that. Nobody I've ever met can solve problems they don't know exist, so you've got to be our eyes and ears.

Please read this post as many times as it takes so that you understand what I'm talking about - Then, let's forget all the other crap and build a studio... Steve
charoo

check my control room

Post by charoo »

although the pix are not of good quality but still you will get an idea what i have construct so far.

regards