PVC Pipes?

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

knightfly

Post by knightfly »

There are times when a single ceiling makes more sense, such as when it's more important to minimise sound getting upstairs than to have max isolation between rooms within the studio - although, here's a way to get most of the best of both - check the drawing about 1/3 the way down this page -

http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewt ... c&start=75

This is by no means the ONLY way to build, Rod prefers alternating ceiling and wall layers while leaving the same gaps and filling with acoustic caulk - my drawing might be a bit more forgiving of ceiling joist sag, while Rod's is undoubtedly more structurally sound. Either will work, the main thing is not to violate the mass-air-mass rule of isolation - more on that in the sticky section titled "complete section" -

Floor coverings - nothing's cheap any more. Normally you want a more live floor and dead ceilings (mic interference, ceiling reflections to mix position, etc) - Since you're floating a floor, probably the least expensive would be vinyl floor covering (with a throw rug or two if necessary)

BTW, don't forget that a floated floor makes a really good drum head if not damped - it needs to be stuffed with insulation or sand (ask Rod a lot more questions BEFORE construction if you decide on sand filling)

Hope that helps... Steve
HopelessRomance

Post by HopelessRomance »

knightfly wrote: BTW, don't forget that a floated floor makes a really good drum head if not damped - it needs to be stuffed with insulation or sand (ask Rod a lot more questions BEFORE construction if you decide on sand filling)

what?I don't get that...

also one other thing. on the wall in my basement, where the live room would be...there is a circuit breaker pannel. this obviously needs to be accessed. what is the best way to build around it...build a door? or....
Yeup...thats me...Josh
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

A floated floor can vibrate at its own resonant frequency, which is likely to be in the audible range - just like a drum head does. To stop this from happening, there needs to be either sand or insulation pressing against the underside of the floated floor panels, so they don't vibrate.

Can you do a basic drawing of your wall where the electrical panel is? Show type of wall construction (concrete, hollow block, stud frame, etc) and where in the room the panel is located... Steve
Aaronw

Post by Aaronw »

Sorry to revive the thread,

Hopeless...check out my floating floor thread...

http://johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=839

There's some pix on pvc conduit runs in the floor.