Please help! Window problem

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

swpowe

Please help! Window problem

Post by swpowe »

I've got a window that is giving me major problems. There appears to be no type of isulation between the two panes of glass and this is causing crazy problems. resonate freq....any ideas on what I can do? I've got one window that has some type of metel strip in between the two panes of glass and then this one that has nothing. If I tap on the window it makes all kinds of noise and anything above a normal speaking voice causes it to shake as well...please please please help me out with this. Thanks.
Aaronw

Post by Aaronw »

What is the thickness of each pane? Is it solid glass, laminated, tempered? Is there a rubber or neoprene seal around the glass?

What do you mean metal strip? Are you talking about a security or safety type of glass?
swpowe

Post by swpowe »

There is no type of seal that I can see. I unfortunatly don't know too much about windows to tell you much...It's a double pane picture window from AMCO i believe.
The metal on the inside I've been told has something to do with the window being vacum sealed with gas or something like that...not too sure. I just can't belive how bad this window sounds. Like I said I've got another window about the same size (was supposed to be the same kind but isn't) that sounds great...doesn't let much of any nosie through and doesn't vibrate close to as bad as this other window. Thanks for any and all help on this.
Aaronw

Post by Aaronw »

Is that double pane window sitting directly on the frame? What's difference from this window compared to the other? Is it framed differently, or sealed different? Maybe the gas case escaped? Are you sure that it's a metal strip, and not a crack in the glass?
swpowe

Post by swpowe »

The only difference is that there is a metal casing or strip that goes all along the inside (in between the two panes of glass) of the one window that sounds good. There is nothing else that is different.