window glare

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

Lonesome_Leo

window glare

Post by Lonesome_Leo »

so i installed my control room window a couple days ago, and it seemed perfect, great isolation and a decent view...

but then i came in to the studio in the morning, and realized you can't see from the tracking room into the control room with the daylight in the room.... is there any way to remedy this without curtains/blinds on the windows that provide the daylight?

thanks a lot,
leo
lex125

Post by lex125 »

I'm sure that others have more experience with this than I do, but I have found that most studio windows work much better in one direction than in the other. I am sure that a well funded architect (with lighting consultant and whatever else might be necessary) could design and build a window that is clear as glass (sorry..), but most windows allow for good viewing in one direction with lots of reflections in the other direction. Obviously, the easy way to influence this is by increasing the light in the room you want ot look into while reducing the light in the room you are standing in. But that just gives you the one-way effect. Getting good viewing in both directions is a little harder.

I'd say that a big majority of studios try to get a good view from the control room into the tracking room, but that is difficult as the tracking room is usually a very low level lighting space. Many studios purposely try to limit the view in the other direction, from the tracking area into the control room: for one thing it can be distracting to the musicians; for another, it allows the engineer and producer to do all sorts of nefarious things while the musicians are blissfully unaware.
Steve
Lexington 125 - High Resolution Location Recording

lex125@pacbell.net
www.lexington125.com
Aaronw

Post by Aaronw »

There may be some type of anti-glare film you can put on the window???

Or maybe put some tint on the culprit window letting in the light, and this will reduce the light coming in, but you can still see out.

Just a thought...