Heat & A/C for 600SF studio

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

dtrax

Heat & A/C for 600SF studio

Post by dtrax »

whats up everyone,

i'm looking at a 600 SF building (actually more, but the space for the studio is roughly 30'x20'), with a small office and bathroom off to the side. The area I will be leasing was once a garage attached to the back of another building, thus no A/C was ran there. the landlord was going to install a large wall unit A/C and run baseboard (electric) heat. I told him for studio purposes that won't work for me, so He agreed to hold off and allow me to put a central air unit if i lease the property.

anyways, I found this item on eBay. its a 2 ton, 23,000 btu heat and air conditioning unit. the specs of the unit line up with my room size and the price is pretty cheap if you ask me, but i know next to nothing about HVAC. like i said, the specs for this A/C seem right on the money but i feel like i'm missing something. any HVAC guys/gals have advice? anything i should look out for?

thanks a bunch
- d trax

"The Pope's a crazy fucker" - Dana Carvey
dtrax

Post by dtrax »

oops, here's the link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW

here's some info in case the link expires:

"BRAND NEW GOODMAN CENTRAL HEAT AIR CONDITIONER. 10 SEER READY TO INSTALL PRE CHARGED WITH FREON. FIVE YEAR ALL PARTS WARRANTY.
THIS SYSTEM IS A 2 TON UNIT, RATED AT 23,200 BTUs. IT WILL COOL A HOME FROM 600 SQUARE FEET UP TO 1100 SQUARE FEET. CONDENSER SIZE IS 24" x 24" SQUARE THE AIR HANDLER IS 42" HIGH 151/2" WIDE 22" DEEP. THE AIR HANDLER IS UPFLOW DOWNFLOW OR CAN GO HORIZONTAL. THE UNIT COMES WITH 10 OR 15 KW HEAT STRIP."

price: $695 USD
- d trax

AndrewMc

Post by AndrewMc »

As a reference - my space is 650 sqft - I installed a 2.5 ton 10 seer unit. The AC guy said 2 - 2.5 ton is the right size given the heat coming off equipment.

With AC's you just have to be sure they are not oversized as this can make them cycle too much and the humidity never gets pulled out. So, 2 ton sounds like the right size.

$695 is a great price - I think I paid around $3500 installed.
Andrew McMaster
dtrax

Post by dtrax »

thanks, Andrew for the reply. I guess I'm getting a case of "cold feet"... this being my first "commercial" studio. I suppose i just need a little reassurance from those who've been through it.

As far as the price, it's on eBay; and while there's no reserve on item, who knows if i'd actually get it for that.
- d trax