HVAC and using a Mini-Split System

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

maestro7879

HVAC and using a Mini-Split System

Post by maestro7879 »

I have a question concerning the cooling and heating of my rooms. I'm looking at buying a Mini-Split system and was planning on putting it in my control room. My question is if I leave all of the doors open in the studio for an hour or two will the rooms stay at a comfortable temp. when the doors are closed for recording ? I'm located in pennsylvania and the studio is below my living room in one side of a two car garage. I was thinking that the mini-split will go on the front of control room wall and the piping will go into the other garage and down that wall. Pic attached of my studio.
giles117

Post by giles117 »

Well here are the Q's u need to ask: Will the people in the rooms not put off any heat from their bodies while recording? and How cold do you intend to make it before they go in there. AND finally, how long will they be in there???

Will the lights, when turned on, produce heat???

Finally what temp is considered comfortable. As an Engineer I like my room at 72-F around the clock. but a singer might prefer 78-F due to their voice, etc.....

Anyway with all that, I'll offer this. Probobaly NOT for a long session. probably so for a QUICK session.

What sized Mini-Split?? They run from 9,000btu up to about 30,000 Btu

The Hitachi 9,000 btu unit sells for 675 shipped. I'd buy 2 of them :)

Bryan Giles
maestro7879

Post by maestro7879 »

In most cases these people will put off heat. Some I still wonder about.

72-F is comfortable for me. As for the singers I expect that the ISO booth will be warmer just because there is not direct A/C in that room. These will be quick sessions. I have noticed that people like to take alot of breaks. My studio has always been for friends and just having fun so it's really not time sensitive when were in there ( Smoke breaks .. etc.. ) .
I was thinking of a 9000 Btu unit. This place seems to have good prices http://www.genieac.com/MINISPLITSALL.htm . If I were to use two units where would be the best placement ?
giles117

Post by giles117 »

Great Find on the price $564 shipped. :)

Now Placement is another issue. I'd mount it where you will not get direct air blowing on you. So in the front of the CR is smart above your head of course and just let it freeze the heck out of the room.

My 1st recording truck had the air blowing on my neck. needless to say I was a chilly willy. LOL

In the drum room, I'd place it on the same wall as in the CR, remember these units on low produce about 22dBA to 25dBA of sound output. :) Which is actually a very good thing ;)

Bryan Giles
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Are you planning on leaving the doors open in order to get some fresh air, since mini-splits don't provide any?
maestro7879

Post by maestro7879 »

I am planning on opening the doors when needed. There is also a window in the drum room and control room that I can open if need be. Is it possible to bring fresh air in using duct work. I have access to each room from the wall that separates the garages. I could easily vent to the outside. I'm just worried about loosing isolation.
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Maybe check this thread -

http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=644

I'm really close to complete idiocy on AC; Rod Gervais is our most knowledgeable member on that and many other areas (possible exception of lurkers, of which we have several hundred who've never posted) - Rod has stated to me that the "chiller room" approach can work - trick is definitely ducting for silence. Fairly long runs, proper duct lining, 2-3 turns per run, these seem to be the main requirements for quiet room penetrations.

This is the approach Whisperroom uses for vent kits in their booths - inlets/outlets travel up the wall, through, and back down (or vice versa) to accomplish the length and turns requirements... Steve