Patchbay configuration - line level/mic level

What is three phase electrics? how do I wire a patchbay? ask all your techo questions here.

Moderator: Aaronw

MightyM

Patchbay configuration - line level/mic level

Post by MightyM »

Im planning on using XLR/TRS combo jacks around the room for inputs. This will let me plug in either XLR, balanced 1/4", or unbalanced 1/4" using a minimum number of jacks. These signals will travel to my patchbay, where they will get routed to my various DIGI-002R inputs. My question is whether or not I need to create 2 feeds (1/4" balanced for line level, and XLR for mic level) from the patch bay to the DIGI-002R inputs. Most preamps seem to have both and XLR and a TRS input for each channel. Can either input be used regardless of line/mic level, or does the XLR need to receive mic level, and the TRS receive line level? If I have both connected at the same time, will they both receive signal? And finally, is the Hi-Z 1/4" input for direct instruments present on some preamps the same as a 1/4" TRS line level input?

Looking for advice......

Mark
Aaronw

Post by Aaronw »

Hi Mark,

The combo jacks have 6 points for connection. Pins 1, 2, 3 for XLR and TRS for the 1/4" connection. You can wire these one of two ways. Use 2 cables, or join them together as 1 (eg: Pin 1 & S for shield, Pin 2 & T for hot, Pin 3 & R for cold/neutral).

If you use 2 cables, you can route one for mic and the other for line.
MightyM

Post by MightyM »

Thanks for the input Aaron. For devices (such as my Digi002R) that have both a XLR input and a TRS input on the same channel, is it adviseble to have both connected at the same time? What would happen if signal was being fed to both simultaneously?
Aaronw

Post by Aaronw »

If I remember correctly, the input selections are a "software" selection in the program to assign what type of input to use (mic or line).

I haven't used the 002, but own an older 001 (which I haven't used in a couple years).