Vertustudio

Discuss studios designed and built by others.

Moderators: Aaronw, John Sayers

Vertustudio

Vertustudio

Post by Vertustudio »

Hi, I’m building a project studio in the basement of my WI cape cod house. I’m using the Rod Gervais book as my primary reference; I even bought my contractor a copy! I’d like to provide a day by day account of what I’m doing here, and I’ll provide a floor plan with dimensions as soon as I can get one scanned. Basically, my overarching goal is to be able to have a nice place to record loud guitars pretty much any time of day, and then be free to make my music, which is really pretty mellow stuff, but I love pushing guitar amps and I just cannot be happy without anything less than a scorching tube amp sound, no way. The pictures show the whole space. The ceiling beam marks the dividing wall between the iso and control rooms. The control room will be the bigger space. Over in the SE corner, the dreaded furnace and water heater – loud! I’ll be dealing with that as best I can.

I’m lamenting a few things about my circumstances: low ceilings, lack of HVAC options, rooms that are outside the golden mean dimension-wise, no symmetry in the control room, etc. Oh well. I’m just glad that I can do this at all. Like I said, my main goal is to be able to play as loud as I want to whenever I want to. Most of the time I’ll be recording with a 57 up against a speaker cone, and I’ll be playing my guitar in the control room (whenever I’m not invoking amp feedback, heh) so I’ll be able to work and produce for long periods of time without wearing out my ears in the amp room. That right there is like a kind of grail for me!

Anyway, thanks for letting me post here. I’ll try to post pictures every day while adding more details. This is going to go really fast. Pipe up with any comments, tips, etc. Again, I’m sorry that I’m not providing a wealth of info right off the bat here – just please bear with me for now and I’ll add in a lot more info, plus answer questions based on what I’ve learned. Thanks for letting me post here!

On right now: Weather Report, Sweetnighter :o

Mike
Vertustudio

Vertustudio

Post by Vertustudio »

NE corner of the control room. The ceiling beam will divide the two rooms.

SE corner of the control room, facing the iso room. This picture was taken from a recessed area at the back of the control room that is 10' wide by about 3' deep.

NW corner of the iso room. This picture was taken while standing directly to the left of the exposed basement door.

South wall will be right in front of where this picture was taken. This was taken while standing in what's going to be left of the laundry room. Not in the frame, off to my right, are the dreaded furnace and water heater. :x
Vertustudio