What about these for mains?

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

ollie

What about these for mains?

Post by ollie »

I am looking to put some big mains in my new studio and I have a pair of Yorkville NS20 active speakers.

http://www.yorkville.com/products_main. ... w=Overview

I was going to disassemble the amp and mount them below the flush mount speaker openings in my front control room hall.

I was also going to use the flyware and rubber pucks to mount them in the speaker boxes.

Are these too crappy?

I have a pair of Tannoy NFM II 8" passive for mid/near monitoring so I just want the mains to be loud.

Alternatively what are a good pair of large mains that I could get... used or new, passive active whatever. I can even build the encolsures/mounting boxes myself.

thanks in advance,
ollie
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

Hi Ollie - I'll leap in before Thomas on this - I could say go on wack those speakers in a soffit mount and wind them up to 11. But there is a trap in that they are designed to be free standing and designers of that kind of speaker tend to add overdrive to the low end so they pump ass in open air. This can be a problem when you soffit mount them in terms of accuracy but if you want LOUD!!!, like you said -I say go for it :):)

cheers
JOhn
ollie

Thanks

Post by ollie »

Ya I think I will try them out, they have quite a bit of "self-noise" but...

They also have a primative lo/hi eq and a HPF 50hz/100hz button. I think I can get these sounding good in a 12 x 15 ft studio. ;)

I also think the flyware will make flush mounting these and isolating them from the control room wall a breeze.

Thanks,
ollie
barefoot

Post by barefoot »

Ollie,

PA speakers like these are extremely inaccurate. I wouldn't even bother with them for studio use.

I have a DIY soffit mount monitor project in the queue. However, I've been working very hard lately on getting the MiniMain12™ released, so it will be at least a couple months before I can get to the DIY design. Also, it's going to be a 2-way dual 6.5" monitor - not a "big main". I'm not sure if this will fit your needs?

If you have some specific design requirements, we might be able to explore this.

Thomas
Last edited by barefoot on Sat Nov 15, 2003 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas Barefoot
Barefoot Sound
Eric Best

Post by Eric Best »

I have a DIY soffit mount monitor project in the queue.
Which we are waiting for with great anticipation and patience. :D
"It don't get no better than this"
ollie

What to do then...

Post by ollie »

Ugh... I listened to them today... loud but a bit nasty.

Can someone post a short list of speakers that can be mounted in boxes and flush mounted in a studio for mains.

Like the ones you see on the front of mix mag. What kind of speakers are those?

I'm am looking for current models and sources...

I have been looking myself but... its so messy and the major manufacturers force to you buy their cabinets with them.

How about a mini-mains kit??

cheers,
o
barefoot

Re: What to do then...

Post by barefoot »

ollie wrote:Ugh... its so messy and the major manufacturers force to you buy their cabinets with them.

How about a mini-mains kit??
Well, building the cabinet wouldn't be the biggest challenge with a MiniMain. It's a very complex active design. And a MiniMain kit would cost you more than a couple thousand $$$ per unit. Not to mention, it contains a lot of proprietary technology. So, you won't be seeing a DIY version any time soon. But, I should have pics and pricing online early next week. You're welcome to order one. :D

There are many commercially available main speakers. What's your budget?

Thomas
Thomas Barefoot
Barefoot Sound
ollie

Re: What to do then...

Post by ollie »

barefoot wrote:
There are many commercially available main speakers. What's your budget?]
Speakers, either 1 or 2 drivers on each side, crossovers and HF drivers.

Lets say...
$5000

$2000

and

$1000

Thanks for the help...

If you have any speaker websites that sell raw materials that would be great.

Ever try typing in "studio speakers" in google?? ugh...

cheers,
o
ollie

more questions

Post by ollie »

Hey Thomas,

You mentioned that your designs are almost complete.

Can you put me on a mailing list.

Maybe send me some info if you have some.

Prices, sizes recommended amps etc.

I wanna get some mains!!!

hehe

I am going soffit mount my Tannoy 8" NFMs not very big or impressive but loud enough for now...

I am gonna make the boxes big enough for Dual Tannoy DMT-15's... just in case...

One more question, I am going to cover my front wall unit with a hard reflective surface like wood or rock.

I was thinking of irregular plain grey slate. 20 lb/sqft $0.13/lb or maybe granite $0.50lb. Though red bricks are an interesting option.

Any reason for using a rock facing instead of wood paneling? or vice versa. Is certain rock better for diffusion than others?

My back wall with have custom made diffusers and absorbers.

cheers,
o
barefoot

Post by barefoot »

Ollie,

I'll be sure to put you on my mailing list.

My first product release, the MiniMain12™ is an active design, so no amplification required. I also have some "Hi-end" sound reinforcement speakers in the works that are accurate enough to double as recording monitors. These might interest you if you're looking for the sort of sound pressure levels that will get your customers intestines dancing!:)

Any very dense material like stone or brick would make an excellent front wall. The only limitation is that you want smooth front surfaces in order to create a reflection free zone. If you use brick, you'd definitely want to face it with a smooth layer of stucco or sheet rock.

Thomas
Thomas Barefoot
Barefoot Sound
ollie

Rough front wall

Post by ollie »

Good to hear about the speakers!

But for the front wall I think a very rough wall with deep pits and spaces between the stones is the way to go for my studio. Its very diffuse from about 400Hz up and the deep gaps between them enhance the edge effect and lowers decay time by a small amount.

Philio Newell has a great description of this Recording Studio Design pg172

You can find it here:

http://books.elsevier.com/

Focal Press Books is the one...

This is the best book I have seen, just came out and I love it. I have many other books but this one is great.

cheers,
o
barefoot

Post by barefoot »

So, you don't want an RFZ?
Thomas Barefoot
Barefoot Sound
Eric Best

Post by Eric Best »

Actually, Phillip Newell's design is an RFZ of sorts, he calls it a non-environment room. He sets up his rooms so that they have a reflective front wall and a reflective floor the sides, back, ceiling, and sides are a series of membrane and hanger absorbers. The speakers are soffit mounted at a 30 degree angle. Some of his designs use stone walls to help diffuze what come off of the wall by the soffit. I think this is what ollie is referring to.
"It don't get no better than this"