quiet glue...any good???

Find out where to get building materials in your local area. If you find a good outlet post it and others will be able to access it through the search engine.

Moderators: Aaronw, John Sayers

wolffie

quiet glue...any good???

Post by wolffie »

hello all.
i estimating to see if i can hit my budget i came across "quiet glue" looks like they are competing w/ green glue. does anyone know if it is as good, better, worse? it think it's cheaper.
studio911

Post by studio911 »

Good luck getting an answer on here. :? I asked the same question a month ago and still waiting for a response. :shock: :lol: . I wrote the Quiet Glue people for more data, but they didnt respond either. I did a search on here for Quiet Glue, and didnt really find too much technical info. So, I just went with Green Glue to be safe. I did however get the Quiet Puddy for the outlet boxes, and that stuff seems to work well. I did a "caveman tap test" :lol: between the treated boxes and non treated, and you can without a doubt hear a big difference. If the glue is anything the same, as far as results, I would go for it and try it. :wink:

I did get info on Quietglue from the Green Glue Rep, and he said it is cheaper, but you have to use more of it for matching identical results, thus in the end its about the same price.....if that helps (and again, that was the GG rep talking>? :? .

If you do get it, and use it, let me know how it works out. Could save alot of people on here alot of money if it does the job.

Stay safe
AJ
wolffie

Post by wolffie »

thanks!
i hear you i seem to have a tuff time getting in the mix, so to speak on this site. its awesome. tons of good info.

i have been asking a difficult question for sure, maybe you could help out. just how quiet can a basement room be. assuming you do the double wall green glue/ resilient channel ceiling and all. sounds like you are done. did you get what you expected? just hope that the money and the effort are worth it.

cheers!
studio911

Post by studio911 »

i have been asking a difficult question for sure, maybe you could help out. just how quiet can a basement room be. assuming you do the double wall green glue/ resilient channel ceiling and all. sounds like you are done. did you get what you expected? just hope that the money and the effort are worth it.
Wolffie,

All I can safetly say is, M-A-M , double wall construction, with NO flanking of any kind (except maybe the concrete floor) should do the trick as far as the walls. And I would build the outside walls with 2X6 framing, then the interior with 2X4 framing (24" OC on the interior walls). or in yoru casem if using the basement existing walls as the exterior, then leave plenty of space for your next walls. Keep it only 2 leafs is what I woudl suggest. if you do build double walls, then spacing the double walls a couple inches apart. That,,, with double sheeting of 5/8" or 1/2" (or one layer of each) drywall and green glue (or Quiet Glue) should do the trick. This is how I built my new Studio. Its not complete yet so I can not tell you exactly how good or effective it all turned out.....yet. :lol: But I have confidence. Area engineers have stopped and said, I went overboard, but better safe then sorry. :wink:

As far as your ceiling, I never used the clips, so I can help ya out there. Instead I just built a 2nd ceiling within a couple inches under the upper floor, off the 2X4 walls. Again I double sheeted this and Green Glued it.

Tonight we actually will get the Tracking room drywall hung as described above. The rest of the first floor and all the 2nd floor of the studio is hung and ready to be taped. :wink: I expect I will have results and confirmations on the isolation of my room within about 4 or 5 weeks when I am moved in and have it up and running. :D

Hey, I also see your located in Baltimore, MD. I keep my boats down there at Chesepeake Yachting Center in Middle River. :D Small world huh?

Good luck, and keep me posted on your progress as I will do the same in return. As for now, I have to go bring in 60 - 12ft sheets of drywall to the tracking room for tonights fun. :lol:

Stay safe
AJ
wolffie

Post by wolffie »

AJ,
thanks for the info. sound like you have got a nice big studio going. best of luck. i would love to get out of the basement. seems like the ceiling will be the challange for me. i have to agree, i think i rather go a bit overboard, if i can afford it, to be safe.

i figure i need about 60 sheets of drywall. back starts hurting just thinking about it......

cheers
Creature82

Post by Creature82 »

I have tried both Quiet Glue and Green Glue. I am not an expert. I consider myself marginally knowledgeable and my opinion of Quiet Glue is it's decent stuff. I don't have any quantitative data to share. I used Green glue most of the time because this website and Green Glue's website said that their low freq attenuation was better. I couldn't tell you if that's true or significant.

The difference I noticed is that Quiet Glue is a little thicker and it dried a little more "rubbery" than Green Glue. Neither dries solid (a good thing) but Green Glue is less viscuous when "dry" and it's tackier.

I used Quiet Glue when I built my observation window (before I heard about Green Glue) and it worked just fine. Quiet Glue is $140 for a case of 12. Green Glue was about $16 per tube.

Also, I agree with wolf's comments on isolation. I tried staggered studs on a common plate and it's no good... I ended up building a second wall and it's MUCH better. For the ceiling I would do the same, i.e. build a second ceiling. I'd recommend 1-1/2" between walls.

Regards,
Creature 82
John Hile

Post by John Hile »

Hi Guys,

Thought I'd chime in on this topic.

1 - Green Glue works better that Quiet Glue. I've seen the TL reports on both and it's true. GG also performs better in the low end where all of your problems are going to occur. Performance to cost, GG always wins.

2 - If you can afford the space of a double stud wall (or ceiling) 24"OC (Insulation in the cavity) with 2 layers of 5/8" DW + GG you will have a really great performing wall. Since the 2 walls do not have a connection you have great decoupling. I usually recommend having the base plates no less than 1/2" apart. More space is better and that would all depend on how much room you have to work with. And that's why AJ's studio. (Great assembly by the way! :D )

A staggered stud wall @ 24" OC (Insulation in the cavity) is the second best since this also adds airspace and decoupling. If done properly with 2 layers DW & GG you will also get a really good performing wall. I've seen great performance out of this type of wall.

Though I would recommend that everyone build their isolation projects with Double Stud or Staggered Stud construction, some folks just don't have the space.

A lot of folks are making home theaters and studios using resilient Clips and Hat Channel for decoupling (Insulation in the cavity) and then 2 layers 5/8" DW & GG. This works great for ceilings as well since building a separate ceiling assembly really eats into your room height.

I hope this helped.

John
John Hile
The Soundproofing Company
Ro

Post by Ro »

Any links to QG and it's reports?
John Hile

Post by John Hile »

I went to Quiet Solution's website and could not find any Lab Test Reports for Quiet Glue. They used to have reports posted but they are not there now. :?

Here is a link to Green Glue's Test Reports: http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/ind ... ue_testing
John Hile
The Soundproofing Company
Ro

Post by Ro »

I know the GG reports, that's why it's so populair. It's got the proof.

The QG, however, is worthless without specs, labreports and such.
It would not surprise me if the QG is really just a GLUE, something GG is NOT.
gullfo

Re: quiet glue...any good???

Post by gullfo »

actually the quiet glue product test docs show its been around a few years already.
Glenn
TomVan

Post by TomVan »

gullfo wrote:actually the quiet glue product test docs show its been around a few years already.
Glenn,
Please elaborate on this!
Verbage and docs?
Peace
T

Post by gullfo »

the quiet glue (quiet rock) site has a set of files from their independent lab testing which dates back to 2008. so I'll go out on a limb and suggest their product has been available since roughly that time frame...
http://www.quietrock.com/documentation/ ... tic-Tests/
i have not done a side-by-side comparison of the quiet glue versus the GG lab results. maybe if someone has some time available, they could plot through the lab report data points for roughly equivalent assemblies using Excel, adding deviation values for assembly differences, and graph it? :mrgreen:
Glenn
Ted White

Post by Ted White »

Ressurecting such an old thread for such a post is simply SPAM.

We always like to see data, however 1 STC point difference either way isn’t even audible or statistically relevant. Also there seem to be testing irregularities between the tests and the Green Glue was essentially wet when tested. Lastly, Green Glue is still costs less (no one pays retail).
Ted

Soundproofing Company
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

Ted White wrote:Ressurecting such an old thread for such a post is simply SPAM.
I agree Ted.
John Sayers Productions

If this site helps you build your studio please use the Donate button.