New Here!

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

kingfridae

New Here!

Post by kingfridae »

Hello everyone,

My name is Travis and I am proud to be a part of this forum. I have been working on a studio since last December and it is getting close to completion. I will be asking a ton of questions before it is all finished though. I do appreciate all of the help and advice you guy's give. Soooo.... I am thinking of picking up some studio monitors. I have a car audio store here in Texas, one of the best speakers I have sold is made by a company in Oklahoma called Digital Designs. DD for short. They are about to release a studio monitor which is kinda weird because they always have done car audio in the past. My dealer cost is gonna be like 200.00 for a pair. I guess they will probably retail around 400.00.
here is the link. http://www.ddaudio.com/dd/pm151.asp Ok guys hit me with your opinion on this one. I am ready! Thanks again - Travis
tmix

Post by tmix »

Travis,
They look interesting, but I'd be a little Leary without being able to hear them first.

Monitors are about the most subjective and personal choice you can make in a studio.
You want to be able to hear everything well enough to make good decisions on all your mix decisions. You need your mixes to sound good on a as many different speaker systems as possible.
I say all this because I have found many bookshelf speakers to be made to sound BIG and HYPED. They sound pleasant on their own (made to enhance the music) but if you make decisions based on the hype they may sound wimpy elsewhere.

Good luck on your search, there are many choices out there... too many sometimes.
Tom Menikos
T-Mix Studios
Mansfield Tx