Is an attic fan going to cause noise in my studio's outlets?

What is three phase electrics? how do I wire a patchbay? ask all your techo questions here.

Moderator: Aaronw

ItSeffinga

Is an attic fan going to cause noise in my studio's outlets?

Post by ItSeffinga »

The wiring is in (I'm going to have to run the star grounding myself, but that's easy...they left plenty of room through the studs). After inspecting the wiring, I've found that the fan in the attic above my studio is at the very end of my studio outlet circuit.

Could this cause any switching noise or other interference? Thanks! :)

Dany
If it's not broken, don't fix it. If it is broken, keep the spare parts.
Aaronw

Post by Aaronw »

Depends on the fan / motor. Does it pull a lot of juice? Do you notice your power surge when it kicks on? Does it make a lot of audible noise when it's running?
ItSeffinga

Post by ItSeffinga »

Hi, Aaron. Thanks for the reply.

Only the rough-in is done, so the wiring doesn't have any juice yet (no drywall up yet). I guess I could try to find the amperage draw information when I get home. It doesn't look like a huge fan or anything. The opening is only about 1' x 1', but for all I know it may be a power hog.

I'll try to find out and let you know. Although at this point I don't think my father-in-law (we're doing this addition project to HIS house out of both of our pockets; edit:95% mine) would allow me to supply the fan from another circuit. So even at this point, the only good the information is going to do me is maybe give me a little piece of mind or a little more worry. :cry:

I told him there couldn't be any motors on the circuit, but I guess he didn't tell that to the electrician.

I'll get back to you. Thanks again, Aaron.
Aaronw

Post by Aaronw »

Well, you could always install some turbine type vents. No electrical to worry about.
ItSeffinga

Post by ItSeffinga »

Hey, Aaron. Thought I'd let you know how it worked out...nothing changed. Gotta keep the relations happy with the in-laws. :roll: Just one more reason to look forward to my very own studio building in the future, when the only limitations are code and $. (EDIT: Just to make it clear, I explained to my father-in-law the possibility of the fan causing noise in my gear, he looked at me like I was stupid, I explained to him how noise can be caused in studio equipment, he said "No, we're not changing it." That's that...if it wasn't for my wife begging me to get involved in this project...no use worrying about the past though, right? :horse: )

No biggie for now. My studio's built (sans treatments), and I've noticed no extra noise from the fan. (...for now :?: )

Sorry if this was a waste of your time, but I appreciate the responses.

Thanks,
Dany