What would you do

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

rsb

What would you do

Post by rsb »

I am a little concerned with the hangers I will be putting underneath my soffit units. I think I understand that you want to have as much mass for a hanger as possible.

My options are to make a sandwich with 2 pieces of 1/2" MDF about 2.5 feet long that can either be 3' wide, and only place 2 of these wrapped in 703 under the soffit.

Or I could make the same sandwich and make the pieces more narrow and add more of them, maybe 4 or 5. Does that make any sense?

Which option would you choose? ( I am here to learn :D )

Thanks

Ryan

I have attached a few pictures of my narrow room.
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Ryan, I've not done any serious construction since hooking up with John, and he's the "hanger man" - however, I thought I saw comments from him to the effect that softer, "homasote"/Celotex type material was used for hangers, wrapped in soft fiberglas batts.

That would make sense, because the function is for the hanger to add inertia to the trap as well as absorb what it can. The softer board would absorb lows, where the MDF wouldn't as much.

As far as size vs. quantity, whichever way gives the most surface area... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
rsb

Post by rsb »

Thanks for clearing that up Steve.

Do you think it would be just as effective to fill that cavity with 703 and cover it with cloth?

Any other suggestion on the use of that space is welcomed. I feel it is going to be tight for hangers.

Thanks for your time.

Ryan
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

You definitely want it absorptive to treat reflections off the rear of the console - if there's not room for hangers, then probably a couple layers of 703 separated by a few inches, one even with the front and the second separated by maybe 6", mounted parallel to the front. The cloth is a given, due to the nature of the fiberglas... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...