A basic corner construction question about corners

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

arathercoolguy

A basic corner construction question about corners

Post by arathercoolguy »

What's a good way to securely attach 2 walls together that form a 45 degree angle? Any diagrams that you could point me to?
Thanks,
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

No diagrams yet that I'm aware of, but I'll add it to my list -

Do you really mean 45 degrees, or 135 degrees (included angle) ?-

Metal studs or wood?

Resilient channel? (solid connection between inner wall surfaces isn't the best way to go)

If wood studs, what power tools do you have access to? (involves bevels, miters, etc)

Let me know, I'll see what I can do... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
arathercoolguy

Post by arathercoolguy »

Wow! Just like my wife! Ask a question and get answered with questions! :) LOL

Do you really mean 45 degrees, or 135 degrees (included angle) ?-

Not really.... I just meant angles in general.

Metal studs or wood?-

Wood

Resilient channel? (solid connection between inner wall surfaces isn't the best way to go)-

It'll be RC mounted

If wood studs, what power tools do you have access to? (involves bevels, miters, etc)-

Sabre Saw, Miter saw, table saw, router, skil saw.

Let me know, I'll see what I can do... Steve-

Thanks Steve
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

OK, tools should be up to the job - give me a while to "slowly whip out" a drawing or two (12- hour shifts suck for this, gonna start looking for a FUN job pretty soon)

Keep in mind that sound proofing is all about details - not just WHAT you put, but WHERE, HOW, HOW MUCH, etc, everything is important if you want maximum isolation for your effort/$$$.

My opinion is that if you're not anal enough to think this way you should save a lot of money and hire it done by the few contractors that may actually do it right. (This ain't cheap, that's why this forum exists and why so many people DIY - it isn't the materials that cost so much, it's the TIME and details.

As for some of these details, this is kind of turning into a "FAQ" til I get time to sift through and generate a REAL one -

http://johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=598

Feel free to browse around in the meantime, there's a wealth of info here and on John's other links (click the upper right logo for a bunch)

Oh, and if you would take the time to update your profile with at least a general location, I'm trying to get everyone to do that. Makes it easier to answer some questions without having to "play the wife" :? Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
DDev

Post by DDev »

I've got a couple of 45 degree walls in my studio. I don't know if this is the answer you are looking for, so take it with a grain of salt.

For the framing, I built straight wall sections up to the point where the angled walls would meet. I then cut my top/bottom plates for the angled sections with 45 degree cuts on either end with a miter saw. Once the plates were cut to size, I began standard framing from the inside angle across the wall section. Once the basic framing was complete and the section setup and attached to the existing straight walls, I cut some special blocks to fill in the gap between the studs on the outside corners (these were really 135 degrees on the inside wall section and 225 degrees on the outside). The blocks were constructed from pieces of 1x6 with one edge staying square and the other cut to 67.5 degrees (-22.5 on the table saw). These blocks were then inserted into the gap between the 2 different angled wall sections to provide an attaching surface for the drywall.

I hope this helps out. It was tricky figuring out how to close it in on the outside, but it worked out great and looks really sharp.

Darryl.....
giles117

Post by giles117 »

Here is a diagram john drew up a while back

Hope this helps
arathercoolguy

Post by arathercoolguy »

Giles....That's exactly what I was looking for.
Thanks,
ARCG