Owens Corning Basement System material

Find out where to get building materials in your local area. If you find a good outlet post it and others will be able to access it through the search engine.

Moderators: Aaronw, John Sayers

DZ

Owens Corning Basement System material

Post by DZ »

Hello,

This is my first post to this great web site. I performed a search first and could not find a similar question.

I am in the planning stages of a basement studio and have a question about the fiber board used in the Owens Corning Basement System. Does anyone know if the properties of the 1" and 2" rigid fiber board used in their system is similar or the same as 703? All I can find is it's R-11. I have come across a large supply of this material and would like to use it in my walls can ceilings as well as to make sound absorbers.

Thanks,
DaveZ :)
gbondo9

Post by gbondo9 »

Here's the details on the stuff: http://franchising.owenscorning.com/bfs/products/

Although not much info on acoustic properties.

On another page it does make this wonderfully vague claim:
Q. What are the acoustic benefits of adding insulation to my basement?
A. The Basement Finishing System™ features acoustic insulation that delivers up to 75% sound absorption providing good sound quality to your room making your home a peaceful more enjoyable place for everyone.

You might just want to email them and ask them to compare the absorbtion coefficients to 703/705.
“Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe.” Abraham Lincoln
DZ

Post by DZ »

gbondo9,

Thanks for the response. I have seen this page and many others which are all similar and vague. I'd like to find out some specs before I fill up my walls and ceilings. :)

DaveZ