Foam, Foam, Foam?

Find out where to get building materials in your local area. If you find a good outlet post it and others will be able to access it through the search engine.

Moderators: Aaronw, John Sayers

gbondo9

Foam, Foam, Foam?

Post by gbondo9 »

OK. Foam.
I see a lot of conflicting info on different boards and I just want to clear thing up for myself so that I understand it. I'm having some trouble getting to certain facts that I hope would fill some holes in my self education on this topic

*I do this because I'm curious about foam and it's various forms and acoutsical properties (not necessarily because I want to treat my room ). I know all about 703/705 and I don't want to compare them at this moment.

Here's what I *think* I know so far:

Closed Cell Foam:
Useless for sound absorption purposes. Great as a heat insulator.
Examples of Closed cell foam:
Polystyrene Foam - Styrofoam, packing peanuts, Great Stuff Spray foam (expanded polystyrene)
Polyethylene foam - packaging foam, mats, life jackets & other flotation devices, sports equipment.
Neoprene foam - Sponge rubber, Wetsuits
Volara & Minicel: Uses?

Open Cell Foam
: Absorbs sound (to varying degrees?), Allows air to pass through, flammable unless treated(?), Can be used as heat insulator
Examples of Open Cell Foam:
Polyurethane: Auralex foam, Memory Mattress foam,
Polyester Foam: Uses?
Polyesther Foam: Uses?
Pyrell Foam: Uses?

So..... I know I'm missing a lot here too.
Are certain (or all) closed cell foams flammable - or does it just depend on the plastic and treatment of the specific material?
Does a foam need to be "breathable" to have absorbtion qualities?
I also don't know the advantages or disadvantages of reticulated or non reticulated foam.
I'm assuming that for open cell foams - greater density increases it's ability to absorb?

Any info you guys can help out with would be great.
Thanks,
Todd
“Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe.” Abraham Lincoln
gbondo9

Post by gbondo9 »

Anyone ? :?:
“Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe.” Abraham Lincoln
sharward

Post by sharward »

Moving to the acoustics forum -- it'll get more action there because foam is often discussed in there.
"Converting a garage into living space requires a city permit . . . homeowners insurance won't cover a structure that's been changed without a building permit . . ." --Sacramento Bee, May 27, 2006
sharward

Post by sharward »

Oops! I can't because I'm not a moderator of the Building Products forum. Send a PM to Aaron or John, asking that it be moved to Acoustics.
"Converting a garage into living space requires a city permit . . . homeowners insurance won't cover a structure that's been changed without a building permit . . ." --Sacramento Bee, May 27, 2006
gbondo9

Post by gbondo9 »

Cool! I appreciate it!
Aaronw

Post by Aaronw »

I'll have to wait until Monday when I'm near a computer. I'm getting an error using my iPhone for some reason.